4 months ago
Our client a market leader in sonar and combat management systems for conventional submarines, surface ships, and complete sensor-to shoot mine warfare solutions and torpedoes is looking for a Proposal Manager/Writer to coordinate and generate competitive bids, acting as the focal point for all proposal development activities within the Research & Advice Division.
Scope & financial impact:
This is a combined Proposal Manager / Proposal Writer role, where the successful candidate will be responsible for the coordination and delivery of professional, compliant proposals on time and within the bid budget. They are to ensure that all of the client's questions and requirements have been answered as fully as possible and that the bid has the best possible chance of success.
The Proposal Manager / Writer will be responsible for the coordination and delivery of proposals for specific opportunities, largely in response to MOD science and technology research requirements. They will work closely with the designated Account Manager and Project Manager for each opportunity within MOD Research and Advice Division and with subject matter experts from the Engineering Division to assemble and coordinate effective proposal teams. This is a "hands-on" role, combining proposal management and writing, rather than a high level "overseer" role. The role will require the ability to multi-task, frequently working on a number of proposals at the same time.
For key competitive bids, tasks include:
- Preparation of a bid plan / schedule
- Working with the designated Account Manager and Project Manager to establish the bid team from within the business, assignment of tasks and definition of bid costs
- Leading storyboard sessions, progress meetings and sale process phase review meetings
- Coaching subject matter experts from the Engineering Division in writing their responses
- Liaison with subcontractors, including initiation of NDAs, coordination of meetings and preparation of statements of requirements
- Owning, producing and editing / re-writing bid response documents from a variety of inputs, ensuring each bid is positioned correctly and with clear win themes and messages to maximise success rates.
- Personally contributing key elements of the proposal, including the Executive Summary
- Ensuring the bid document is compelling, well-written, attractive and compliant
- Working with the relevant Account Manager on the preparation and execution of sales process phase reviews
- Management of the internal release process for bid approval
- Liaising with Legal and Commercial departments to develop the solution in line with company principles
- Continue review and improvement of the proposal template
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required:
- Candidates should have achieved adequate recognition as a professional business manager (in bidding, projects or sales) via a proven track record, with the ability to demonstrate competence in bid management disciplines via previous successful delivery of competitive bids
- Knowledge and experience of a structured bid management process, e.g. the Shipley process
- Ability to think strategically
- Highly competent in MS Office software, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and relevant tools such as MS Project, Visio, etc.
- Excellent creative writing, marketing and communication skills
- Good organisational and leadership skills with good time management and the ability to prioritise
- Good commercial skills and awareness
- Attention to detail
- Good written English
- Domain knowledge and track record relating to research in the underwater battlespace and defence contracts in general, would be advantageous but is not essential
Recognising the RESTRICTED nature of the work, suitable candidates will be SC cleared or eligible for this level of clearance.