Birmingham, West Midlands
£330 - £445 per day
Rail Technical Team
8 months ago
Job Title - Project Sponsor
Location - Birmingham
Asap - 23.3.2020
Pay rate - £330-£445 (limited rate)
About the role / project:
To manage the development of Network Rail strategy for new high-speed routes, including the integration of the HS2 project with the national rail network. To manage the project sponsorship and management of High-Speed phase 2, which successfully delivers all schemes through the project life cycle. The project Sponsor is the main person who interfaces with the client and oversees all project activity.
This will involve HS2 as the key client on this programme, dealing with multiple complex projects.
HS2 then takes a step back and the Sponsor becomes the client advocate internally within NWR.
The sponsor is responsible for taking on all of the client's visions and goals, ensuring they understand the end goal and agree.
What you will do:
This person will be engaging with different clients and Stakeholders, managing overall budget, responsible for governance, conflict resolution, managing risks and ensuring everyone on the project is on the same page.
This person carries the overall accountability for the success or failure of the project.
This person will need to be able to easily build rapport, lead and chair meetings.
1. Manage proactively at project level within your area of responsibility and be accountable for all required outcomes including disseminating lessons learnt in accordance with requirements.
2. Manage and build effective relationships at project level to balance the requirements of the client, Network Rail and the industry as a whole. Champion the interests of clients, customers and stakeholders acting as the focal point for escalation within Network Rail.
3. Prepare, develop and review project remits to confirm their viability. Work with stakeholders to establish a scope which optimises requirements, value for money, network availability, capacity for future development and whole life cost.
4. Responsible for the development of the project plan and budget working with the project manager to specify how the project is going to be delivered, expected milestones and associated timescales, resource requirements, risks & issues and funding needs/sources.
5. Prepare business cases and investment papers for your projects.
6. Implement and identify cost efficiencies and improvements to process within your projects. Effectively manage change through the formal control process
7. Manage development of solutions which maintain the national railway 'business as usual' accessibility for our customers.
8. Manage and challenge your project team (Sponsor and Deliverer) on the deliverability, agreed scope, stated timescales and cost parameters. Communicate progress against defined milestones and expectations to appropriate managers and stakeholders. Implementing contingency measures in place where necessary.
Your experience will include:
* Qualification in Project management ideal, registered or membership.
* Proven experience of managing conflict/ conflict resolution.
* Able to manage multiple complex projects (they will be managing several in their portfolio).
* Able to manage, this person will be line managing at least one direct report (Scheme Sponsor).
* Able to work under pressure and deal with various Stakeholders asking for different must haves.
* Experience of dealing with client projects and liaising with people at all levels
* Ability to articulate complex business problems into manageable work packages and produce logical solutions
* Commercial and financial understanding
* Proven influencing and negotiating skills
* Experience of managing a successful team delivering major complex projects
* Successful relevant experience in project management and sponsorship
* Intermediate Skills: Microsoft word, excel and PowerPoint
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills
* Educated to a degree level or equivalent
* Member of professional bod
* Knowledge of / experience in the railway industry
* Advanced PowerPoint skills