25 days ago
Project Manager with a defence engineering background required to be responsible for allocated programme/project delivery, ensuring that assigned programmes/projects are completed on time, to budget and to the expected quality requirements.
The Project Manager will also be responsible for providing support in establishing best practice, providing suggestions of improvements to the current processes, practices and methods, and looking for potential opportunities for improvements. Where appropriate the job holder will be required to mentor and coach team and peer members.
The role involves but is not limited to the following:
- To assume total responsibility for the management and delivery of assigned projects with full accountability for project performance. Deliver the programme/project in line with company processes, procedures, standards and project governance guidelines .
- To have total and complete understanding of project and contractual requirements.
- Bid Management - lead and co-ordinate bids from concept to contract award, working through the direction of business development. Work on and prepare the required proposals, cost books in line with the bid allowable timescales.
- Define, communicate, execute & monitor the project and prioritise specific to individual contracts and projects, in line with agreed contractual and delivery requirements, with appropriate work packages, key milestones and budgets for each stage of work package.
- Develop, execute and maintain project plans and statements of work (SOW's), detailing task descriptions, deliverables, project schedules through liaising with specialist areas across a matrix organisation in-line with company processes, procedures and standards.
- Develop and lead project teams; providing leadership, direction and control, through effective work package management. Provide support, mentoring and coaching as required to ensure success delivery of assigned programme/projects.
- Pro-active risk, issue and opportunity management, ensuring logs/registers are established and maintained through the life of the assigned project with high level of accuracy.
- Take responsibility for identification and realisation of Profit Improvement on projects.
- Effective Stakeholder Management including interface and the management of external customers. Ensure that all communications to stakeholders, verbal and written are clear, concise and unambiguous.
- Build strong customer relationship. Provide primary focus for customer, communication and liaison, keeping customers informed of work progress, issues and resolution plans. Ensure customer satisfaction is maintained at all times. Manage customer exceptions, in-line with company priorities and capabilities.
- Identify and pursue follow-on business opportunities, working closely with business development team.
- Continually assess current performance, identify root causes, and actively drive programme/project and cross functional improvements through the life cycle of the assign project.
- Manage, report status and performance of the assigned project in line with the company management reporting cycle. Ensure project data is maintained to a high level of accuracy (forward load, project plans, risk registers and financial data) within the various company's business data systems.
- To hold, chair and /or present at various forums (such as project meetings, progress and contract reviews).
- To comply with the Company Policy on Health & Safety.
Skills, Qualification and Experience
- Degree level in relevant management discipline or engineering with at least 5 years management experience. Desired APM or PMI equivalent qualifications.
- Thorough understanding of Project/Programme Management principles.
- Demonstrable Project/Programme Management experience in a technical/engineering arena.
- Simultaneous management of multiple projects.
- A strong leader, able to positively influence.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Commercially aware and able to see the bigger business picture.
- Broad understanding of the roles of supporting business functions.
- Financially astute.
- Customer focused.
- Self-motivated, determined; able to work alone and as part of a team.
- A sponsor of change and comfortable in a dynamic environment.
- Able and willing to motivate, coach and mentor staff.
- Focused, proactive, adaptable, approachable and committed.
- Advocate of "hands-on" approach.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel within the UK and overseas (<10%).
Recognising the RESTRICTED nature of the work, suitable candidates will be SC cleared or eligible for this level of clearance.