about 2 months ago
My Client, a market leader in sonar and combat management systems working within the Defence space are looking for an experienced Accountant to join their Dorset based team on an 18 month basis to cover a period of maternity leave.
Reporting into the head of project Accounting, the successful candidate will be involved across all projects within the department and therefore must come from a strong accountancy background with a good understanding of project management.
- To play an integral role in the businesses UK Finance team, with the ability to plan, predict, maintain and present periodic
- Project and financial performance following recognised accounting standards;
- Control of project accounting through setting of approved project financial performance targets;
- Appraise and challenge project performance and out turn predictions against targets;
- Adoption of appropriate revenue recognition policies associated with long-term contracts;
- Delivery of accurate, timely results for periodic revenue and profit trading;
- Report and maintain actual & predicted project results;
- Ensure deviations to project financial performance are captured, understood and approved;
- Attendance at bid reviews to assess and approve financial criteria for proposed submissions.
- Appraise and challenge cash-flow and levels of cost and contingencies contained within bid proposals
- Maintenance of Project, Contract and cost data in ERP and preparation and control of contract related Sales Invoices
- Preparation of general ledger journals necessary for the production of monthly accounts and maintain records in accordance with relevant accounting legislation, professional standards and Group Accounting Policies, including key cost accruals and relevant balance sheet reconciliations;
- Assist in the valuation and control of Assets, Stock and Work in Progress to ensure all inventory is accounted for appropriately;
- Assist in provision of periodic reporting to present key financial and operational Business performance;
- Work closely with budget holders to assist them in their decision making, provide guidance on finance related issues and feedback on actual performance and deviations from targets.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of project accounting through development of new and existing tools, reporting and processes.
Knowledge, skills and personal qualities required:
- The role would be suitable for an experienced Accountant either qualified or QBE at the level expected
- Experience of Project Accounting with specific knowledge gained within a long-term contract accounting role.
- Previous experience working directly in an operational/financial environment, ideally within an engineering organisation in defence/production industry sector (Desirable).
- Excellent IT skills, in particular Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft/Windows application experience with potential to contribute to process and reporting improvements.
- Knowledge of Dynamics AX and SharePoint would be advantageous.