Up to £53.81 per hour + Umbrella
about 2 months ago
£41.87 PAYE / £47.96 (inclusive of holiday pay) / £53.81 Umbrella
To support the product safety SME Principal Engineer, Product Safety & Environment DI in carrying out the product safety engineering tasks required to support the design authorities for multiple projects. Under the direction of the product safety SME the contractor is needed to support the projects' Technical Authorities in their generation of safety engineering deliverables on some products and to advise design certification authorisers with independent safety assurance for other products.
Safety engineering deliverables/activities include safety management plans, safety reviews, hazard identification, analysis and hazard log management, safety risk reduction and review of designs, through to verifying safety requirements, constructing safety arguments/safety cases, review, and generating evidence for design certification. Independent safety assurance for other products includes reviewing/assuring safety arguments/safety cases, hazard log review, assessing evidence for design certification, and advising design certification authorisers with independent safety assurance.
The main sites where the projects may be based are Frimley, Christchurch and Yeovil; some potential travel between these and other UK locations may be required. The individual will be based from home. The role is technically challenging and the PSE will be expected to be able to work in a team environment but also autonomously. The PSE will be expected to be able to handle context switching, i.e. working effectively on several different projects/bids, some as independent safety engineering assurer, some as safety engineering producer.
- Preparing, maintaining and managing the implementation of Project Safety and Environmental Management Plans to ensure that Product Safety is managed in a cost effective manner
- Hazard identification, analysis, and review
- Hazard log management
- Analysis of product safety risk and its mitigation
- Safety review of designs, and verifying safety requirements
- Constructing safety arguments/justifications
- Completing safety checklists and safety statements as required for Design Certification
- Providing advice and guidance to project teams on product safety issues
- Supporting bids for product safety issues
- Sound understanding of Safety & Environmental Legislation and Standards, the requirements of DEF STAN 00-056, including previous issues of 00-56 and the requirements of DEF STAN 00-051
- A proven track record in the application of hazard identification, analysis and safety risk assessment techniques
- The safety aspects of legislative compliance with various EU Directives, e.g. LVD, EMC and RED (including DEF STAN 59-411, BS EN 62368-1 etc.) for CE marking and their UK equivalents for UK CA marking
- Experience of having created and maintained Safety Cases and Safety Arguments / Safety Justifications / Safety Case Reports
- Experience of reviewing and assuring Safety Cases and Safety Arguments / Safety Justifications / Safety Case Reports
- Knowledge of UK Military and Export Military environments
- Experience in the application of military, national and international standards for safety and environmental management
- Ideally experience of DSA02.DLSR.LSSR and DSA03.DLSR.LSSR (formerly JSP 454)