Up to £50.00 per hour
4 months ago
Product Safety Engineer
Duration: Contract 6 Months
Location: Barrow in Furness
Pay Rate: £50.00 Ltd per hour
A vacancy has arisen for a Product Safety Engineer to work within the Weapons Systems Product Safety team on new and / or existing products.
This will involve definition of effective safety strategies to allow contract specific safety targets to be met, the generation of safety documents, establishment of safety assessment plans, and activities to ensure delivery to contract safety requirements.
- Provide safety engineering input into technical/business proposals in support of specific contract requirements.
- The interpretation of the safety requirements, including environmental, from MoD, DoD and other customer specifications and the subsequent development of qualitative and quantitative requirements for inclusion in equipment specifications.
- Definition and analysis of product safety targets to satisfy both customer and legal requirements.
- Setting and monitoring safety guidelines for use by project/design teams.
- Provide safety advice and support the creation of Design Certification.
- Undertaking safety hazard analysis, using recognised tools and techniques, such as PHI, FMECA, HAZOP, FTA, etc.
- The generation, update and maintenance of hazard databases, as required by each contract (such as eCASSANDRA).
- Preparation of Safety Documentation such as:-
- Safety and Environmental management Plans (SMEP).
- Safety and Environmental Case Reports (SECR).
- Environmental Reports.
- Hazard Logs.
- Disposal Plans.
- Specific Safety Documents required by individual contracts.
- Risk assessments for safety related tasks.
- Issuing of safety notices/instructions.
- Provision of technical expertise and general safety advise to project/design teams on operational and environmental aspects, including:
- The identification of safety hazard risk areas.
- Where required attend safety review meetings both in-house and with the customer.
- Attending design/process reviews with the customer and agencies thereof, and providing expert technical/programme advice and presentations where appropriate.
- The establishment and maintenance of safety reporting, analysis and corrective action systems as required by the project.
- Maintaining an overview of the developments in the field of safety and customer safety specifications such as DEF Stans and Mil Specs.
Proven Ability / Skills:
- A good level of Health and Safety awareness.
- Excellent understanding of safety requirements.
- Working knowledge of technical office process standards and standard instructions.
- Very good interpersonal, verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Proven ability in Microsoft Office package especially Word and Excel.
- Familiar with JSP's and Def Stans
WE SEEK A PRODUCT SAFETY ENGINEER WHO HAS WORKED IN A MILITARY/DEFENCE ENVIRONMENT/INDUSTRY WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS OR WHO IS CAPABLE OF OBTAINING SECURITY CLEARANCE (SC LEVEL MINIMUM)