Up to £50.00 per hour
3 months ago
Product Safety Engineer
Contract 6 Months
Location: Filton, Bristol
Pay rate: £50.00 Ltd per hour
* To undertake a range of Product Safety activities in line with all relevant project and corporate processes and any specific customer requirements
* To undertake review, qualification and approval activities relative to deliverable and delivered items
* Facilitate the implementation of relevant Product Safety processes
Key Technical Skills:
* Able to demonstrate a track record of delivering safety in large or complex projects
* Knowledgeable with respect to Product Safety Legislation and Regulation
* Familiar with Product Environmental Legislation and Regulation
* Proven ability in safety risk management, this will include hazard identification, analysis, risk assessment and risk mitigation
* Competent with applying formal hazard/ safety assessment techniques and methods such as:-
* HAZID (Hazard Identification),
* HAZOPS (Hazard and Operability studies,
* FHA (Functional Hazard Analysis),
* SWIFT (Structured What-If Technique),
* FTA/ETA (Fault/Event Tree Analysis,
* FMEA (Failure Mode and Effect Analysis) etc.
* Able to write safety case reports (not essential)
Key Leadership/People Management Skills:
* Good people management skills and experience in a multi-disciplined engineering environment
* Confident with assisting engineers develop strategies for hazard removal and risk reduction
* Able to provide clear instruction on implementing Product Safety requirements.
* Able to motivate employees to prioritise safety requirements.
* Able to guide project personnel with implementing Product Safety processes.
* Promotes coherent engineering
* Promotes continuous improvement
* Able to influences the design and wider project team.
* Able to make task decisions based on strategic and technical requirements
* Displays flexibility
* Ability to build positive and effective relationships
Key Mental/Analytical Skills and Challenges:
* Interprets requirements from contract and other relevant standards, producing good practice instructions.
* Researches when digging for information.
* Appreciation of short term and long term approaches
* Considers innovation
* Knowledgeable in developing safety strategies and safety arguments
Major Tasks and Activities:
* Provide support to the TA teams with the management of the hazards, risks and associated mitigations and contribute to the development of the hazard log and the maturity of information contained within.
* Organise and facilitate HAZIDs and review meetings and contribute to other HAZIDs when required.
* Support the development and maintenance of the inputs to the Safety Case Report (Systems Design Safety Assessments (SDSAs) and Key Hazard Certification reports).
* Review contractor supplied deliverables to ensure acceptability of delivered material.
* Work with the TA teams in collating adequate PS related evidence to support the safety case and acceptance via the Requirements and Acceptance Team.
Additional Key Accountabilities:
* Keeps up to date in relevant technical areas such as hazard identification and management systems, including emerging software safety developments
* Provides the relevant PS information required for assurance purposes.
* Assists line managers with raising the Product Safety competency of their staff.
Product Safety and Product Environmental:
* The role holder shall be responsible for making him/herself aware of the product safety and environmental implications of their role and ensure that they operate in full compliance with the Project's Product Safety and Product Environmental Management Plans.
* The role holder shall immediately raise any concerns regarding the safety of a product, or the application of safety and environmental processes with their line manager or the Engineering Authority (Director).
SHE Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
* Ensure compliance with the SHE Management System, mitigating risks and improving overall SHE performance
* Demonstrate strong and active leadership for SHE, setting high standards across all areas
* Provide suitable information / instruction / communication for the team to undertake all activities in a safe and environmentally considered manner.
WE SEEK A PRODUCT SAFETY ENGINEER WHO HAS WORKED IN A MILITARY/DEFENCE ENVIRONMENT/INDUSTRY WITHIN THE LAST 12 MONTHS OR WHO IS CAPABLE OF OBTAINING SECURITY CLEARANCE (SC LEVEL MINIMUM)