2 months ago
Principal Systems Engineer
Location: Greenford, UK | Duration: 6 Months | Pay Rate: Negotiable
A vacancy exists within a large defence electronics enterprise for a Principal Systems Engineer to provide technical leadership and design governance on projects within our client's Distributed Anti-Submarine Warfare Domain (DASW) as the System Design Authority (SDA).
The SDA will be involved throughout the complete project lifecycle with particular emphasis on the demands of airborne systems, safety requirements, fault tree analysis and air worthiness certification. Specific projects include a MIL-STD-8591/1750E compliant sonobuoy dispensing pod and development of a next generation wide area surveillance sonar.
The SDA will be responsible for ensuring that projects are technically compliant and that all engineering activities are conducted to an acceptable technical quality in accordance with company procedures.
- Product Certification and Compliance approval (all technical aspects, including contractual & legislative) - this may include airworthiness where applicable.
- Technical governance of engineering activities on a project - any issues identified should be escalated as appropriate.
- Design sign-off through key stages of the life cycle, particularly at design reviews, or significant design change.
- Ensuring that Design Reviews are appropriately planned, reported and signed off.
- Approval of customer or critical concessions.
- Approval of key technical management plans.
- Approval of key specifications for development or procurement.
- Ensuring engineering efforts are conducted in accordance with the client's processes.
- Liaison with Engineering Managers to establish life cycle status planning & issue resolution.
- Identifying Quality and Safety issues requiring support external from the project team.
- Coordination of Sub-System Design Authorities (where applicable).
- Identifying strategic resource and capability issues to help establish support for future projects' demands.
- Supporting the Engineering Lead as required for technical customer discussions.
- Supporting the evaluation, migration and management of engineering risks.
- Coaching and mentoring of other engineers.
- Liaising with customers and suppliers as required.
- Proven ability in Systems Engineering within the defence industry or other relevant environment.
- Appreciation of electrical, electronic and mechanical engineering.
- Awareness of Safety issues.
- Awareness of the legislative arena from an engineering perspective.
- Proven ability planning and conducting all levels of integration and testing.
- Proven ability conducting system commissioning, integration and acceptance tests.
- Proven ability conducting engineering activities in accordance with structured business processes.
- Use of development, target and test equipment as well as laboratories to perform engineering activities relating to the allocated functional discipline.
- Awareness of Sonar Systems, Sonar theory and practice.
- Awareness of fundamental commercial and financial issues.
- Awareness of Software Engineering best practices and common pitfalls.
- Awareness of fundamental Project Management practices (eg planning, estimating, risk management etc).
- Awareness of other electronic systems used in the defence industry (eg Radar, communication, weapon, fire control, decoy, surveillance).
- Awareness of the operational and organisational structure of the UK or similar armed forces, especially Naval.
- Proven ability working with Military Systems, preferably in the Naval/Marine Domain.
- Proven ability working with various Networking Standards.
- Essential - MS Windows, MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Desirable - DOORS, Bugzilla/Jira, Windchill & IFS.
Additional Security Information
Due to the sensitive nature of the product, all applicants must have worked in the defence industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining a UK MoD Security Clearance (SC level minimum).