Birmingham, West Midlands
£50000 - £63000 per annum + 25 Days Holiday, Pension, Healthcare
Rail Technical Team
6 months ago
Our client are world leaders in asset management, engineering design and operational delivery, solving complex challenges for clients such as Network Rail.
They are seeking to recruit Principal Project Managers to manage a portfolio of major multidisciplinary or large single discipline projects in accordance with the requirements of the Project Quality Plans. The role will have full responsibility to deliver or exceed the Company's agreed financial expectation for the projects portfolio in terms of value, margin and cash.
What will this role involve?
- Work with Associate Director and Technical Directors to develop annual business objectives, plans and budgets for business area
- Maximise operating efficiency, so that projects portfolio is delivered in compliance with the Project Control System to agreed standards and targets
- Implement quality improvements when opportunities arise
- Deliver revenue within agreed budgets
- Act decisively to rectify any adverse circumstances that threaten the delivery of the quality and programme agreed with the client
- Define and manager programme of projects, update regularly and ensure that activity managers have sufficient capable resources to meet deadlines
- Maintain regular liaison with all stakeholders and employees on the progress of projects.
- Forecast and monitor the financial performance of the projects portfolio, providing regular (minimum monthly) detailed reports, comparing actual and forecast performance to plan expectations and explaining variations
- With support of commercial team, ensure that contracts are in place before work commences including sub contracts and purchase orders for suppliers and sub consultants
- Approve expenditure to the level specified for Band D post holders
- Manage, develop, coach and motivate employees in the project team and recruit staff within the agreed project budget
- Maintain and develop key client contacts to maximise future business opportunities
- First degree or higher level qualification in suitable Engineering discipline
- Membership of recognised engineering / project management institution
- Computer literate and thoroughly conversant with MS Office suite and experienced in the use of project management software - MS Project, Primevera
- Knowledge of financial and contract management control systems
- Extensive experience on engineering projects with significant experience in the senior management of multidisciplinary teams
- Previous experience in related industry sectors is essential
- Demonstrates ability to implement and meet targets
- Supports and contributes to continuous improvement
- Effective leader able to take and be accountable for decisions
- Has a clear understanding of contract and related market dynamics
- Able to implement and support a customer-centric approach
- Able to manage, develop and motivate a team
- Demonstrates developed communication and influencing skills
What makes this role unique?
You will act as a bid manager on tenders for significant bid opportunities, and carry out line management duties and Deputise for the Associate Director, when required