Up to £46.50 per hour + PAYE
about 1 month ago
We are looking for a Principal Product Safety Engineer to support our submarines programmes in the delivery of the Whole Boat Safety Case.
You will be supporting the Engineering Delivery Organisations in all facets of Product Safety engineering, throughout key stages of Life Cycle Management. You will provide the Engineering Delivery Manager (Safety & Environment) with technical safety advice in support of the Whole Boat Safety Case.
This role is specifically targeting a Probabilistic Safety Analyst with experience in Fault Tree & Event Tree Analysis to support Accident Sequence Modelling, as well as the capability to author detailed safety justifications.
There will also be the opportunity to be responsible for other areas of Product Safety within the Product Safety Department, typically safety requirements capture and management, hazard identification and analysis, hazard data management, application of ALARP principle, creation/maintenance of safety documentation and continuous improvement of the safety management system.
- To execute, evaluate and deliver Probabilistic Safety Analysis and author detailed safety justifications recognising stakeholder and customer requirements.
- To undertake Product Safety functional design analysis and/or provide specialist Safety advice of their scope of responsibility and provide evidence for acceptance and fitness for purpose of structure, systems and component and Whole Boat designs;
- To confirm beyond reasonable doubt by review, surveillance and audit, that those assumptions underpinning engineering data, analysis methodologies, and interpretation of results have been validated in support of the Product Safety cases and activity;
- To produce Product Safety evidence of their scope of responsibility in support of qualification, legislative requirements and safety justifications and provide specialist support for associated activities;
- To contribute to identification and rapid closure of issues emerging from all product lifecycle stages and to manage the resulting change embodiment activities from a Product Safety perspective
- To liaise with both internal and external customers as required ensuring that their Product Safety requirements are adequately supported and that their needs are fully considered and incorporated where appropriate and agreed
- To undertake peer reviews or checking/verification tasks as directed;
- To provide realistic programme status, identify problem areas and implement agreed recovery plans for Product Safety activity;
- To define the Product Safety qualification obligations of their scope of responsibility for the assurance hold points during build, test and commissioning;
- Provide assurance to the design organisation that the design is adequately safe i.e. it is robust, in providing supporting documentation for the safety case;
- Provide assurance to the Design Authority as to the adequacy and robustness of the Safety Case and supporting documentation;
- To provide support to the Certificate of Design activities appropriate to the discipline and from a Product Safety perspective;
- To articulate and present complex technical Product Safety argument clearly, logically and simply;
- Assist line management with the maintenance and continuous improvement of the Safety Management System, including production and maintenance of Process Instructions;
- To identify, assess and implement areas of improvement within the Whole Boat Safety Case and Safety Management Systems, with agreement sought from Line Management;
- Continue to develop self in Safety Engineering practices and other areas of relevance and to assist Line Management in the development of junior team members of the team in Safety Engineering practices.
- Ideally Science Technology Engineering Mathematics (STEM) degree qualified or equivalent qualification and evidence of working towards professional chartership, although candidates with an appropriate level of experience will considered.
- Demonstrable experience and/or understanding in more than one of the following safety practices:
- Fault Tree Analysis (FTA)
- Event Tree Analysis (ETA)
- Accident Sequence Modelling (ASM)
- Authoring Detailed Safety Justifications
- Consideration will be given to experience and/or understanding in the following safety practices;
- Product Safety requirements identification and capture
- Product Safety hazard identification and analysis using internationally recognised techniques such as, Functional Hazard Assessment (FHA), Functional Safety Assessment (FSA), Zonal Hazard Analysis (ZHA), Hazard & Operability Analysis (HAZOP), Affective Safety Management (ASM);
- Delivery of Product Safety Cases and Management Systems to defence or other internationally recognised standards e.g IEC61508, DO178, DEF-STAN-00-56, ARP-4761;
- Review and appraisal of Product Safety Cases, influencing others with constructive feedback;
- Auditing Product Safety Management Systems, learning and sharing and influencing others with constructive feedback