Principal Product Safety Engineer
Principal Product Safety Engineer - Software
Location: Work from home with occasional office visits to Barrow, Cumbria
Duration: 12 months
Rate: £60 per hour LTD or Umbrella Company, £53.48 PAYE including holiday pay
This role is ideal for an engineer with a Product Safety background in Software and Integration of Software systems.
- To execute, evaluate, deliver and manage complex safety engineering and/or cross functional tasks or programmes of work recognising stakeholder and customer requirements
- To identify and implement opportunities for personal and team development to ensure that professional capability of the business and individual are maintained and improved
- Overall purpose of the role is to contribute to the development of a Product Safety Case for a large complex engineering product
- Identify system and functional hazards using techniques such as Hazop, SWIFT, Functional Hazard Assessments etc.
- Undertake system and functional complex analysis using analysis techniques such as:
- Fault Tree and Event Tree Analysis
- Production of Functional Level safety justifications
- Review System Level safety justifications to support the Functional Level safety justification
- Providing guidance on all aspects of Product Safety to Engineers within the function
- Liaison on all aspects of the Product Safety case with customers and suppliers
- Attend and contribute to Design Reviews
Proven Ability / Key Skills
- Proven ability in a range of safety techniques such as:
- Functional Safety;
- Safety Critical (Complex) Systems Safety Analysis;
- Functional Hazard Assessment (FHA);
- Fault Tree Analysis (FTA);
- Event Tree Analysis (ETA);
- Failure Modes & Effects Analysis (FMEA);
- Accident Sequence Modelling;
- Fault Schedules;
- Hazard & Operability Analysis (HAZOP);
- Zonal Hazard Analysis (ZHA).
- Proven ability in a range of safety standards and guidance, typically:IEC61508, DO178, DEF-STAN-00-56, ARP-4761;
- Setting integrity requirements (e.g. SIL, DAL);
- Providing/ eliciting compliance evidence to standards and requirements;
- Dealing with Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) equipment;
- Dealing with Software of Unknown Pedigree (SOUP).
- Knowledge of safety requirements, typically:
- Developing Safety Functional Requirements (SFRs);
- Deriving safety requirements on systems, components and testing from safety analyses;
- Setting Availability, Reliability & Maintainability (ARM) requirements;
- Providing/ eliciting compliance evidence to requirements;
- Accounting for time at risk for requirements.
Due to the sensitive nature of the product all applicants must have worked within the Defence / Military industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining Security Clearance (SC level minimum).
This vacancy has been deemed Inside IR35 from April 2021 onwards.
This is a pooling vacancy to cover potential attrition. Candidates will be reviewed and provisional offers made to enable progress with SC applications. However these offers do not guarantee that a suitable position will become available.