about 1 year ago
The Principal Mechanical Engineer will Lead the design and development of radar and electro-optic products developed by our customer. You will be utilising state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools to explore all aspects of the development lifecycle, including stress and thermal analysis, requirements analysis, design, implementation, test, build and product support. You will interface with customers (internal and external) on many factors within the design and liaise closely with Engineers from other disciplines, particularly Systems and Electronics.
The typical activities include:
* Present robust engineering solutions at design and peer reviews to ensure technical accuracy of specifications, designs and reports
* Design innovative, optimised engineering solutions taking into account all requirements such as product safety, reliability and testability
* Perform hands on mechanical design and development using 3D CAD software, including first-pass structural analysis to determine if a design is fit for purpose.
* Adhere to standards for mechanical engineering best practice.
* Deliver design solutions against requirements, within budget and timescales.
* Mentor, develop and coach engineers in terms of technical knowledge and soft skills
* Develop and coach engineers in terms of technical knowledge and soft skills.
* Contribute to peer reviews.
Key Responsibility Areas
* Seek and share good practice and knowledge locally to continuously improve own practices.
* Working to timescales.
* Work as a contributory engineering team member
* Mechanical design and development using 3D CAD tools.
* Provide technical direction/support on critical business programmes to ensure delivery of mechanical engineering excellence.
* Provide key support to critical technical problem investigations and deliver effective solutions.
* Mentor design engineers with on-the-job coaching.
* Support and facilitate reviews and sign off release of mechanical designs in accordance with business and industry standards.
* Champion improvements in product manufacturability through effective relationship building and design guidance.
* Build effective cross functional relationships within local site, across business and internationally within group and suppliers.
* Support mechanical management team in process and departmental improvement and development activities.
* Continue professional development throughout your career by formal training, learning _on the job_ and keeping up to date with the latest developments which may aid performance.
Skills, Qualifications & Knowledge Required
* Ideally you will hold a minimum of an upper second class Masters Honours degree in a relevant discipline or have equivalent job related experience.
* You will be a Chartered Engineer with IMechE or equivalent. Alternatively you must possess and be able to demonstrate that you have the UK-SPEC competencies necessary in obtaining Chartered status with the IMechE.
* Engineering design and development - process of delivering products and associated key milestones.
* Problem solving and simultaneous engineering - structured, logical approach to investigate issues and problems in an effective cross-functional manner.
* Mechanical engineering detailed design - first-hand experience of engineering design, numerical calculations, tolerance studies, etc.
* Delegation - ability to effectively delegate tasks to appropriate engineers and provide required level of support.
* Customer orientation - demonstrate ability of fulfilling customer requirements (internal and/or external).
* Business awareness - understanding of fundamental business principles, drivers and key customers.
* Self -motivated and willing to take on new challenges.
* Good communications skills (written & oral) are essential.
* The ability to develop good working relationships with stakeholders.
* Supportive mentor - provide technical guidance/ recommendations to problems/ projects and individuals.
Tools - CREO, ANSYS Workbench, ANSYS classic