Principal Engineer - Operability
Aerospace and Defence
Up to £38.90 per hour
0161 707 1516
18 days ago
Principal Engineer - Operability (x3)
Duration: 6 months
Rate: £38.90 per hour PAYE
As a Principal Engineer - Operability you will report directly to the Engineering Manager - Operability. You will represent the Operability Team at design reviews and support the design teams using your knowledge as an ex-submariner to provide subject matter expertise relevant to your submarine trade. You will also have a responsibility for review and assessment of Operating Documentation (EOPs, SOPs and ABs) and their integration into the Ship Safety Case. You will assist the Engineering Manager - Operability to help ensure that the submarine design accommodates features that will safely, effectively and efficiently deliver a future class of Submarine operable by a specified number of SQEP crew in accordance with authorised operating documentation. In support of this objective you will:
- Ensure all Operability Assessment deliverables are produced on time and provide specialist Operability support for associated safety activities (Hazard Identifications, HAZOPs, ALARP Optioneering etc.). ensuring that tasks are completed to time.
- Provide subject matter expertise to the Product Safety team in support of the Ship Safety Case.
- Provide specialist support related to your primary role as requested by the OPDOC Production Authority in support of OPDOC derivation and verification.
- Ensure attendance at or be suitably represented at Major Area integration reviews to ensure the design meets the functional objectives and requirements relating to your primary role.
- Harness the Operability Group resources to undertake the activities that will supply the Operability acceptance evidence deliverables (design reviews, system operability assessments, operability reports).
- Attend or be suitably represented at all related design management meetings and reviews (MATS, MAITS and SITS) as required and requested by the respective team managers.
- Review design changes with respect to their impact on delivering your primary role objectives, commenting as appropriate.
- Ensure that effective measures are taken to support timely identification and rapid closure of operability issues emerging from all product stages that relate to your primary role.
- Be competent in complex report writing using a structured presentation of information. Be competent in reviewing other reports and advising the author on improvements.
- Produce policy documents when required within your area of responsibility.
You are to provide subject matter expertise to the Engineering Manager - Operability as required but specifically in the areas relating to your specialist submarine expertise.
- Manage and produce System Operability Assessments and Major Area Operability Assessments in areas of responsibility.
- Produce and complete Operability Checklists in areas of responsibility.
- General Arrangement Assessment Reports.
Proven Ability / Key Skills
- Ex-Submarine Engineer with extensive knowledge and supervisory proven ability of Submarine Ship systems/Propulsion systems/Power generation and distribution
- Management ability within a submarine engineering environment (Cat A, SCOOW)
- Knowledge of Product Safety, Submarine HAZID, HAZOP, LHI and ALARP
- Submarine Operating documentation derivation and verification
- Astute involvement desirable
Due to the sensitive nature of the product all applicants must have worked within the Defence / Military industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining Security Clearance (SC level minimum).