£0.00 - £55.00 per hour
16 days ago
To work within the Naval Architecture Department, providing design and analysis tasks in support of the company's programmes for submarines and surface ships. Opportunity to see the full project life cycle from concept to operational handover and in service support.
The naval architecture team encompasses four key functional areas of hydrostatics, hydrodynamics, infrastructure support and concept design, experience of contractor can be tailored towards working in one of these areas
Typical taskings include:
* Concept design, detailed design, support to build, delivery and in service support for submarine and surface ship platforms.
* Support to the definition and development of user, system and sub system requirements through to demonstration of acceptance.
* General arrangement - Deck and superstructure layout development and assessment.
* Hull form design, optimisation and development. Incorporating hydrodynamic performance, appendage design and integration.
* Assessment of buoyancy and stability characteristics for concept and detailed design phases. Management of stability for boats / ships in water during commissioning phase.
* Resistance and propulsion assessment for surfaced and submerged conditions under primary, secondary or tertiary propulsion systems.
* Prediction of Manoeuvring and control performance through mathematical, computational and physical modelling methods. Manoeuvring assessments include open ocean surfaced, periscope depth and deeply submerged, coastal waters, shallow water and restricted channels.
* Technical support to Shiplift and transfer system operations. Loading predictions and onsite overseeing of module / whole ship movements.
* Launch and undocking analysis, technical support and supervision.
* Professional/Chartered status supported by a degree or equivalent in Naval Architecture or Marine Engineering.
* Knowledge of submarine or surface ship design standards and processes.
* Stability analysis using packages such as Paramarine, Aveva or FORAN.
* CAD packages such as Rhino or AutoCAD.
* Hydrodynamic analysis, including CFD tools such as FLUENT or STARCCM.
* Experience of model testing and trials.
In excess of five years working in a senior naval architect role