about 1 month ago
Principal Engineer - Computational Fluid Dynamics Hazards
Duration: 12 months
Rate: £52.17/hr LTD
As a Principal Engineer, you will lead or support a number of assessments using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) analysis and mathematical modelling. You will also develop processes and support the development of the team's capability. You will be expected to design physical tests, support testing and validate CFD predictions.
The successful candidate will carry out CFD modelling and analysis for a range of hazards such as fire, smoke, steam and the dispersion of dangerous substances such as hydrogen. The CFD modelling may include mitigating activities such as ventilation controls and the effect of fire-fighting systems.
Principal Tasks and Responsibilities
- Developing processes to clean geometry input files and create suitable meshes
- Developing scripts such as journals to apply the modelling physics and run CFD models
- Developing supporting tools to automate CFD workflows where possible
- Support to the CFD hazard modelling team lead in developing the teams' capability and experience
- Writing proposals, basis of analysis reports and assessment reports
- Setting test house requirements, reviewing test house documentation, analysing raw data and directing test schedules to validate our models
- Undertaking peer reviews and act as an intelligent customer
- Working closely with a broad range of stakeholders
Proven Ability / Key Skills
- Significant CFD proven ability ideally in hazard analysis and/or design development
- Ability to use Fluent and open codes such as OpenFoam would be beneficial
- Excellent communicator, with the ability to work effectively in a team and to build effective relationships with a range of stakeholders
Due to the sensitive nature of the product all applicants must have worked within the Defence / Military industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining Security Clearance (SC level minimum).