5 months ago
Airborne Communications (BLOS) - Principal Communications System Engineer
Duration: 6 months
Our client is seeking a communications system engineer for the development of aircraft SATCOM communication systems. The role will be initially focussed on system design, including waveform specification and communications architectures to be implemented on laboratory and aircraft concept demonstrators in later stages of the project. The systems engineer will provide technical support throughout the product lifecycle, including design implementation, integration and test, and customer demonstrations and trials. There will also be opportunities to contribute to other communications programmes of work such as the airborne inter-vehicle datalinks (IVDL).
This role will provide unique exposure to a variety of communications products and subject-matter experts, as well as the ability to interact directly with the user community to understand their operational needs and directly apply this knowledge to future product capability enhancements.
The successful candidate will be responsible for delivery of specific work packages supporting the BLOS communications system development; working across a range of technical disciplines such as: waveforms, signal processing, RF integration and antenna integration.
- Management of requirements
- Technical analysis and modelling of BLOS waveform performance
- Modelling of BLOS communications system and its performance
- Perform feasibility studies to advise customers on potential solutions
- Technical documentation of system solution
- Development of close relationships with key internal and external partner organisations, sub-contractors and key stakeholders to understand, interpret, and (where appropriate) influence, current and future user needs and requirements
- Co-ordination of activities performed by other teams and subcontractors
Proven Ability / Key Skills
- Proven ability of communication systems implementation, including knowledge of waveforms, architectures, and protocols
- Knowledge of modulation schemes and error correction schemes
- Knowledge of current commercial RF or military communications systems
- An understanding of RF communication system hardware implementation (such as transmitters, receivers, filters, SDR)
- Proven ability of a mathematical modelling language (ideally MATLAB)
- Ability to produce detailed technical reports
- Graduate degree in relevant engineering or related scientific discipline
- Knowledge of SATCOM Systems
- Knowledge of waveforms and techniques used in SATCOM modems
- An understanding of Transmission Security (TRANSEC) methods
Due to the sensitive nature of the product all applicants must have worked within the Defence / Military industry within the last 12 months or be capable of obtaining Security Clearance (SC level minimum).