South West England, England
6 months ago
Position: NSoIT(D) PowerShell Automation Engineer
PowerShell Automation Engineers work as part of the Software Engineering team and are responsible for the design and implementation of infrastructure automation components which form part of the NSoIT(D) Platform as directed by the Software Engineering Team Lead and reporting to the Infrastructure Automation Team Lead. These automation components will primary be developed using Windows PowerShell and will focus on Windows Server components including its various features and services, Windows software products, NSoIT(D) customer specific applications running under Windows, SDDC (Software Defined Data Center) tools such as PowerCLI and PowerNSX, as well as interactions with external REST APIs and services.
● Understand the NSoIT(D) infrastructure design and/or installation documents to create zero touch automation packages that are parameterised, dynamic and able to repeatedly and reliably deploy against these designs.
● Apply complex problem solving to "reverse engineer" applications, designs and manual build instructions to create zero touch automation packages. Often these applications are legacy, were created without automation in mind or are otherwise resistive to full, zero touch automation.
● Create production quality code, following industry standard best practices as well as internal policies and procedures.
● Collaborate effectively with other members of the agile automation team sharing knowledge and peer reviewing others work prior to formal review by the Automation Team Lead.
● Create clear and concise technical documentation of their work.
● Use the Atlassian toolset (JIRA, Confluence and Bamboo) to record, document and test their work.
At least 6 months' demonstrable hands on experience within the last 3 years:
● Creating PowerShell scripts/automation modules for production systems utilising PowerShell v4 or later.
● Automating deployment of server, network or storage technologies across multiple vendors.
● Building or supporting large Windows infrastructure environments.
Desirable Skills: Demonstrable experience with advanced PowerShell coding features e.g. Workflows, Desired State Configuration (DSC) and Bare Metal Deployment.
Any of the following professional certifications that have been obtained within the last five years:
● Networking certification, CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) or similar.
● Virtualisation certification, VMware VCP (VMware vCenter Certified Professional) or similar,
● Windows Server certification, MCSA (Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate) / MCSE (Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert) or similar.
● Formal Software Development certification, OCA (Oracle Certified Associate) or similar.
Other Beneficial Skills:
● Completed Advanced Automated Administration with Windows PowerShell (OD10962C) course or similar.
● Experience with NATO FAS applications.
● Experience with UK Public Sector deployed systems applications and services.
● High and Low level design experience with Windows Server technologies.
● High and Low level design experience with Cisco Networking technologies.
● Working as part of an Agile development team.