Role: (Plant) Layout Engineer - Hinkley 'C' Nuclear Power Station project
Location: North-West Bristol, close to M4/M5 junction
Salary: £40000 - £65000 + benefits including 10% client pension contribution and private healthcare
Start: April 2023 onwards (due to need to obtain security clearance - client happy to wait for candidates to serve appropriate notice period)
Work pattern: Hybrid (3 days office / 2 days from home)
An exciting opportunity exists for experienced Layout Engineers experienced in the production of plant layout designs and calculations for large industrial plants and facilities (e.g. platforms, power stations, refineries, chemical production plants, etc) with knowledge of PDMS to work in support of EDF's £20+ bn Hinkley 'C' nuclear power station construction project.
The role will be embedded with a client responsible for the production of the construction drawings for the HPC project and will be based at their head office in north-west Bristol close to the M4/M5 junction 3 days/week, with the rest worked from home.
The role would ideally suit a mechanical or electrical engineer with good multi-disciplinary (plant) layout knowledge and experience (e.g. knowledge of 2 or more of mechanical, electrical, piping, instrumentation, HVAC, steelwork, civil, equipment, etc), including knowledge of things like modifications, analysis, space management, layout review, and interfacing with different entities etc...
Prior nuclear industry (or other regulated industry) experience would be useful, however layout engineering experienced gained on other large, complex regulated industry projects (e.g. oil and gas, power, rail, chemical, petrochemical, defence) would be equally valued.
This is a long-term permanent position offering excellent future career development and advancement opportunities working in support of the Hinkley 'C' and Sizewell 'C' nuclear power station projects.
The Plant Layout Engineer assists the building leader in the technical coordination, production and monitoring of layout engineering studies for one or more buildings by proposing technical solutions.
General Layout Engineering
- Receives the input data for the layout engineering of the building (Process & Instrumentation Diagrams, equipment data, cable list, electrical load list, etc.), analyses them and verifies their technical consistency.
- Carries out layout engineering or makes proposals to improve the layout.
- Lays out the various mechanical and electrical equipment.
- Design the pipes, HVAC ducts and electrical cable trays in the 3D model. This role with have a particular focus on layout of pipework.
- Carries out an initial check of the consistency between the process & instrumentation diagrams and the 3D model.
- Writes the related technical documents (progress reports, equipment introduction note, change impact analysis, design procedures, etc.).
- Issues the layout drawings to the various teams and coordinates their layout activities by ensuring compliance with the layout rules.
Progress monitoring and change management
- Manages and monitors the modifications requested by the various engineering teams.
- Anticipates and raises alerts on open technical points.
- Regularly carries out layout engineering reviews (with all the engineering teams involved).
- Prepares a regular status report on the model in the light of the latest input data.
Qualifications and Experience
- Qualified to degree level or suitable level of other relvant experience allied with experience in one or more areas of engineering: piping engineering, mechanical, HVAC, safety
- Knowledge and experience of using PDMS
- Good knowledge of other 2D and 3D design software (AutoCAD, Navisworks)
- Good knowledge and understanding of general layout rules for an industrial project.
For the right candidate, our client can offer a competitive salary and outstanding benefits package, combined with the opportunity to work for a highly respected company at the forefront of the UK nuclear new build industry offering excellent prospects for future career development and advancement.
MORSON INTERNATIONAL, part of the Morson Group, are the leading TECHNICAL & ENGINEERING RECRUITMENT COMPANY in the UK specialising in Technical Support to the following industries: Nuclear, Power Generation, Aerospace, Rail, Marine, Petrochemical & Construction