27 days ago
Nuclear Technology Engineer , Permanent, London SW1Y 4PE
The Engineer will engage and supervise the nuclear technology design activities, review and accept the nuclear technology deliverables. Ensure the safety, consistency and integrity of related engineering design.
For identified Projects within the Bradwell B (BRB) early programme of work, establish the necessary nuclear technology engineering support to:
- The Feasibility Studies,The basic, detail and execution design,The Consent and permit,The Business case development
- Be responsible to establish the IC and DA required technical capabilities in nuclear technology areas.
- Be responsible to take technical review to the safety case in nuclear technology areas and attend relevant regulatory review meetings.
- Be responsible for the establishment and implementation of technical procedures, technical standards in nuclear technology areas.
- Assist the management of scope, quality, technical risk related design contractor in nuclear technology areas.
- Carry out any other engineering works assigned by EMO directors.
Knowledge, skills and attributes:
To be minimally qualified for this role, a candidate must have:
- Understanding of the requirements for a UK laws and regulations, what is required, good practice and key elements
- Understanding of generic Nuclear Safety, Security and Environment Policies and, particularly, those elements relevant to the Safety case
- Understanding of ALARP and BAT, their application as well as the relevant good practice in the UK. Includes the key application of ALARP in the UK HPR1000 design and safety case
- Understand the key elements of nuclear technology design in support to a Nuclear Power Plant, including:
* Safety Functions and Systems Categorization and Classification within the UK context
* Applicable UK codes and standards (e.g. nuclear materials storage and transportation)
Skilled in the following nuclear technology design areas:
- Fuel and core design calculations
- Fuel route safety assessment
- Fuel transport safety assessment
- Fuel behaviour in normal operation and fault conditions
- Irradiated fuel inventory and decay heat calculations
- Reactor physics modelling methods and computer codes
- Core physics and fuel management calculations
- In-core component specification, design, limits and conditions
Degree qualification in a relevant subject or able to demonstrate commensurate experience
Excellent project management and organisational skills, secured by practical experience and/ or a qualification
Chartered Engineer, equivalent or journeyman to being Chartered
Preferably, experienced in the delivery of Safety Cases for major nuclear infrastructure projects
Excellent presentation and communication skills able to effectively interact with senior managers and executives