£25000.00 - £30000.00 per annum
3 months ago
To ensure effective transfer of new products from Design Engineering into Manufacture and support additional process improvements as required by the business
* Support, assist and inform the design of new products
* Ensure designs can be fully tested and help define production testing to ensure quality is designed in from conception
* Assist in Design of manufacturing processes from concept to production ensuring parts and materials are fit for both purpose and efficient manufacture with high yield
* Undertake bench top trials of early designs as required to inform prototype design iterations
* Attend critical project and design reviews
* Build prototype and pre-series product samples
* Assist design team in preparing the design package for transfer to production
* Assist Operations team by:
o Contributing in Risk Assessments covering both H&S and technical/process
o Carrying out test and measurement commissioning
o Tooling recommendation, procurement and implementation/commissioning
o Generating production documentation (works instructions, etc)
o Implementation of process control measures for quality and for yield analysis
o Technician training
o Generating calibration and maintenance specifications of process tooling
* Develop, evaluate and improve manufacturing processes for new products
* Provide visibility to management and product development teams of technical issues that inhibit volume production and escalate any issues as appropriate
* Coordinate and facilitate production readiness reviews
Manufacturing Engineering & Continuous Improvement
* Provide engineering support in production to trouble-shoot and resolve technical problems
* Promote continuous improvement of operational processes and define CAPA projects preparing CBA and ROI projections for approval by management. Lead such projects as required
* Manage & Maintain equipment database & calibration schedules ensuring rapid repair or replacement & minimal downtime
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
* GCSE or equivalent in Mathematics, English and a science subject
* Experience in precision optics, lasers, fiber optics or instrumentation product manufacture
* Relevant experience in a production or engineering role in the manufacturing industry
* Problem solving & lateral thinking skills
* Good written & verbal communication skills
* Basic Word & Excel skills
* Ability to learn and develop technical understanding
* Ability to learn and develop IT skills * Further education qualification in Science or Engineering discipline
* Clean Room Experience
* Experience in laser safety and risk assessment methodologies
* Intermediate Word & Excel skills
* Understanding of basic statistics
* Experience of assembling & testing prototype products
These are the minimum standards we expect from the holder of this job description to display in their role
* Experience in assembly and test of optics, optical fibers, lasers or precision instruments
* Numerically confident and capable of developing numeracy with training and support
* Ability to tackle tasks and problems in a logical and systematic manner
* Accurate data inputting, checking and record keeping
* Ability to communicate technical information clearly and accurately verbally
* Ability to produce clear written reports, within areas of technical expertise
All employees are expected to strive to meet the company values of Excellence, Energy, Contribution, Integrity and Innovation.
Individual behaviours that we expect the holder of this job description to display in their role
* Inquisitive and keen to learn new skills
* Conscientious and attentive to detail
* Preference for working with facts and data
* Knows where to go and what questions to ask to access the right information.
* Regularly makes positive contributions that improve working practices.
* Tidy and safe working habits
* Is trustworthy and accepts responsibility for own actions.
* Completes tasks to a high standard according to guidelines, policies, procedures or advised by others.
* Takes responsibility for own actions and can work effectively with minimal supervision when appropriate
* Has a positive approach to work, working flexibly, willingly and in co-operation with others
* Takes the initiative to solve day-to-day problems in own area of work.
* Understands own role and responsibilities as well as the roles and responsibilities of others.
* Accepts change and is positive in adopting improved working methods.
* Works well under time pressures
* Recognises when to ask for advice and when to inform others.
* Desire to develop own career and acquire further responsibilities and skills over time