5 months ago
A. POSITION Job Title: Network Design Engineer
2. Key responsibilities:
* Provide technical proposals / designs to the Network Solution Design Manager / designated technical lead on the allocated project ensuring that all activities are carried out as requested.
* Document aspects such as - but not limited to - proposed designs, rationale for design decisions and agreements reached with both internal and external parties, as required by project objectives.
* Present designs at reviews, including rationale for design decisions, with ability to address and respond to observations to ensure success of the review.
* Work in a professional manner, ensuring that company processes are adhered to.
* To use his/her own experience and initiative to suggest improvements where necessary to the design solutions and processes within the Network Design Engineering group.
* Maintain his/her own technical knowledge and engineering methodology on both deployed and fixed communications by agreeing a training and development plan with his/her Functional Manager.
* Ensure that all allocated work is carried out in an efficient manner and is completed to time and to budget.
* Ensure that all design and delivery documentation produced is correctly configuration controlled according to company procedures.
4. Decision making authority:
Make technical design decisions within context of known practises, established precedents and acquired technical expertise in-line with project deliverables, including product recommendations where requested.
Lead technical developments with respect to defined aspects of allocated project.
5. Problem solving responsibility:
Be able to isolate and demonstrate failures in the product or system built, identifying likely causes and solutions.
Be capable of applying general principles and experience to solve complex problems.
Be capable of sustained technical understanding of all issues to do with part of the design they are responsible for and integration with the related overall solution.
B. PERSON SPECIFICATIONS:
1. Formal Education and training:
Network Engineering qualification preferably to degree level, in communications or IT systems or other related engineering fields.
Membership of relevant professional bodies commensurate with the business and technology fields.
Technical qualifications and training in Cisco or Juniper solutions (CCNP, JNCIP) backed by several years of experience producing network solutions.
Minimum 5 years Data Network design experience with particular emphasis on detailed design from requirements to realisation.
Familiar with key vendor network portfolio such as Cisco and Juniper
3. Other key skills/product knowledge:
Must have skills: Cisco CCNP and/or demonstrable evidence of attaining equivalent level of experience and expertise. Data network experience of LANS, WANS and security of data networks with a good understanding of COTS products pertinent to data networks.
UK Security Clearance, SC Minimum
Desirable skills are: Experience of devices and techniques for assurance of network security. Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentations. A good understanding of the cost/benefit implications of various design decisions. Knowledge of the Government PSN framework services Knowledge of PKI solutions as they apply to data networks.
C. POSITION CHARACTERISTICS:
1. Financial and measurement data:
Able to understand the cost/benefit implications of various design decisions.
No direct financial responsibility, but will be required to ensure resources, including both products and services, employed in design tasks and solutions are utilised efficiently.
2. Supervisory responsibilities:
The role may have some supervisory content dependent upon project demands, scale and structure. A Network Design Engineer may, in agreement with Technical and Functional managers, be required to take team leadership responsibility for a small discrete team of engineers..