£425 - £500 per day
4 months ago
Primary Purpose of the Role:
To design and develop combat systems for surface ships. To work within the systems engineering team to deliver the engineering process for the project/bid.
As part of the Systems Engineering team you will interact with the following key roles:
* Major Stakeholders / Clients
* Designers at all levels
* Bid team members
* Project team members
* Integration team members
* Major Equipment suppliers
* Project Planners
* Sales and Marketing
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
* Technical liaison with major equipment suppliers
* Functional/capability analysis
* The development and management of Requirements Specifications for the System and Subsystems level.
* Good understanding of the development lifecycle and lifecycle products.
* Impact Analysis / Variation
* Compliance / Customer requirement resolution
* The defining and authorising of Design Descriptions and Verification Requirements.
* Provide technical advice to the Engineering Group Manager on all technical matters and management issues related to the Systems Engineering Group.
* Interaction with key stakeholders.
* Understanding and embracing customer needs and advising customers.
* Establish and maintain a structured Systems Engineering process and activity.
* Produce technical specifications.
* Produce Interface specifications
* Represents the Systems Engineering Group on the Change Control Committee. Review change proposals, approve ECN's on behalf of the Engineering Department
* Keep abreast of technical development both within and outside of the company.
Expected Competence Level:
Skills (underpinning Knowledge):
* Able to use a range of IT tools.
* Has a sound ability to define the use of System Engineering tools, in particular modelling and requirements management.
* Has knowledge of configuration control processes.
* Can define and use metrics as part of Quality assurance & control to change and re-model a System Engineering process.
* Working knowledge of project plans.
* Has knowledge of Engineering Safety Management in the context of architectural design
* A sound understanding of naval combat system architectures
* The Combat Systems Engineer is the technical focal point for the Combat System design and framework, and must be able to resolve all issues, problems, questions and conflicts in the entire system. This requires frequent handling of new and unusual issues therefore a proven record of working in combat systems is required.
* The post holder should have an awareness of open architectures and appropriate standards.
* Experience of collaborative working with cross-industry/customer teams, desirable for this to be multi-national.
* Sound knowledge of combat systems deployed in UK maritime fleet, with detailed knowledge of at least one combat system equipment.
* The post holder should have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate at all levels in the spoken and written word. A good outward appearance, self-motivation and the ability to work under pressure are vital.
* The success of the Systems Engineering job family relies on the interaction of its engineers at all levels, therefore evidence of team working is required.
Qualifications and Certification:
* Member of a professional body
* Engineering Degree or equivalent