12 months ago
Morson International are working with a key client in the Nuclear Sector who have a current requirement for a Mechanical Principal Engineer on a contract basis. This role will be located at our client's site operation in Newbury and a competitive hourly rate is on offer to a suitably qualified and experienced candidate. Usual hours per week: 37 (7.4 per day)
Responsibilities / Experience required:
- Working experience in Design & Engineering Bid preparation including approvals.
- Provision of technical guidance (within the relevant design discipline) for all design work in accordance with project design procedures;
- Leadership and Management of the engineering resources to deliver technical and engineering solutions that robustly support the development of the plant Safety and Environmental Case to meet UK legal and nuclear Site licence requirements.
- Able to take responsibility for delivery of mechanical work package to programme, budget and required quality.
- Effective utilisation of mechanical design resources required to support the Project Managers in meeting their Project programme work packages and provide reporting information to the Project Manager.
- Engineering design governance to ensure that the engineering designs generated through internal and subcontract agencies will transition through the appropriate project gate efficiently
- Ensure appropriate engineering standards are used and that engineering solutions are fit for purpose and achievable.
- Implementation of appropriate functional engineering reviews and Designers Risk Assessments including engagement of Design Capability Experts to advise and guide the development of engineering solutions.
- Management of teams of Mechanical Senior Engineers / Engineers / Designers and checking and approval of mechanical deliverables.
- Have the knowledge, skill and experience to develop 'ideas' into conceptual engineering designs from 1st principles.
- Responsible for checking and approval of design calculations.
- Is up to date with the latest technology and has the ability to specify proprietary equipment for use in bespoke design systems.
- Has chaired Design Risk Assessments / Design Reviews and ideally will have presented at HAZOP studies.
Brief Person Specification
- Degree qualified and preferably chartered status or equivalent.
- Must have design experience and experience of producing mechanical design deliverables (including associated documentation) for Mechanical Handling Equipment, Special Purpose Machinery, Lifting Equipment etc, ideally within a nuclear environment. Also have experience on the requirements for decommissioning plant, ideally on a nuclear site.
- Able to travel and work at customer's sites and locations.