£0.00 - £45.57 per hour
27 days ago
- Technically manage Mechanical Engineering Design Change (defined in MEM WBS)
- Technical coordination of an integrated programme of Mechanical Engineering upgrades including the management of technical risks and opportunities
- Support the technical content of the overall ME upgrade programme with the MoD; ·Ensure requirements for individual ME design changes are fully specified
- Attend Design Reviews to ensure compliance to requirements and assess risk of installation; Develop ME upgrade installation programme
- Manage progress of each ME design change to ensure key delivery and installation dates are achieved
- Ensure appropriate Tests & Trials are planned for each ME design change and co-ordinate trials and acceptance activities
- Review CIAP submissions and respond with Impact Statements as required
- Ensure that Mechanical Engineering DMS tasks are delivered to quality, schedule and budget
- Deliver oversight and problem rectification of Mechanical Engineering upgrades
- Develop cost-benefit analyses to ensure value for money to the customer
- Coordinate Technical Assurance of Current Design (defined in SSS WBS)
- Support the Platform Design Authority in conducting safety & certification assessments and monitoring In Service ME Equipment performance
- Monitor ME S2022s, assist with investigations and responses
- Conduct technical investigations as required and identify potential design improvements
- Agree defect repair proposals
- Collate evidence for ME concessions and make recommendations regarding sign off
- Assist OEM/EPT with Obsolescence Management
- Support Safety/Environment assessment and hazard management
- Contribute to the maintenance and improvement of the Configuration Management of the Class. Budget Holder Responsibility
Functional Knowledge (Requirements for knowledge of functional work and activities)
- A recognised Mechanical Engineer applied to a Marine and/or Defence environment with a good depth of knowledge in Mechanical Engineering design and integration
- Understanding and appreciation of Safety Engineering, Naval Architecture, Structures and Warship Construction, Combat Systems, Support and Production Engineering, Whole Ship Transversals, Engineering Problem Solving, Design change development, planning and implementation.
- Key Design & Safety Management IS tools, MCWE, SSDD, SSEDR, V Bridge, PMPT, NAS, SMARTER/ECASSANDRA
- Knowledge of Ship Safety Management (SSMO)
- Technical Requirements, Test & Trials specification.
- The role holder shall have sufficient breadth of technical knowledge and experience to implement sound engineering decisions in all technical areas and shall seek support from specialist engineers where necessary.
- Qualified to degree level, or equivalent with industry experience, in Engineering or a related discipline preferably with experience in marine Mechanical Engineering/naval industry. CEng or ability to achieve CEng within 12 months.
Business Expertise (Requirements of the job for knowledge and expertise about the business rather than the technical expertise)
- Good understanding of the COM construct aims and wider business goals
- Sound understanding and experience of the defence maritime industry, especially the MoD DE&S DShips structure and departments
- Well networked internally and externally, with extensive industry or MoD experience
- Knowledge of key company and MoD processes
- Experience of LCM and governance arrangements on similar sized projects
- Practical understanding of the partnering between Government and private sector
- Good understanding of industry and MoD design/safety management tools and processes
- Understanding of company Engineering processes and ability to relate and align them to Babcock processes.