£28.00 - £35.00 per hour
7 days ago
To undertake engineering investigations, design changes and associated project management of engineering projects in the maintenance of the design intent and availability of In-Service Submarine Flotilla, in particular:
* Submarine Ship's Systems and
* Submarine Propulsion Systems.
To act, in conjunction with the other members of the Mechanical Team, as the focal point for support, by Babcock, to the Platform Group within the Submarine Operating Centre. This focal point is specifically centered around the identification of issues, risks and the associated potential design solutions for In-Service Submarines.
Principal Tasks and Responsibilities
To act as Task Owner for the specification, planning, execution and delivery of specific submarine design support / design change tasks, as allocated by the Team Leader - Mechanical, to the required standard(s), time scales and budgets.
In terms of the above requirement tasks include, but are not limited to:
* Conducting investigations and / or design studies as required by the Submarine Enterprise with a specific focus on submarine secondary propulsion systems and shipside service systems
* Developing and or maturing technical solutions and associated specifications and technical reports in order that the required design changes can be proposed and progressed
* Conducting design and safety reviews in order to identify the technical and safety risks
* Conducting on board inspections and assessments (operational and in maintenance)
* Project managing sub-contractors in the execution of specific tasks that require specialist or OEM support and
* Producing reports and recommendations that detail the proposed solution and or way ahead which will give consideration to priority, programme and budget.
To directly liaise with the customer and other MOD project officers, as authorised, to identify the technical issues, discuss potential solutions, review recommendations, conclusions, provide general advice and report progress.
To manage sub-contractors in the conduct and progress of their contracts and provide technical acceptance of their deliverables on behalf of Babcock.
To liaise with other departments to ensure that cross-Platform integration issues and Safety aspects of any design support / design change tasks are addressed.
To provide technical support on electrical design aspects to other Babcock Engineering Services projects and the wider Babcock Submarine Enterprise Teams as directed by the Manager - Mechanical.
To apply and work to objectives and targets as set by the Team Leader - Mechanical.
To notify the Team Leader - Mechanical of any issue with the potential to affect contractual and commercial.
To notify the Team Leader - Mechanical of any potential problems, including lack of resources / budgets / forward workload.
To maintain appropriate documentation and records in assigned areas of work including project files and the Management Information System (MIS).
To undertake ad-hoc and emergent tasks as directed by the Manager - Mechanical/ Team Leader - Mechanical.
Qualifications and Experience Requirements
Minimum of a Level 4 BTEC in a relevant STEM based discipline or a comparable academic standard (NVQ Level 4 / Foundation Degree etc).
It is desirable that the post holder holds a Master's Degree in a relevant STEM based discipline.
The post holder should hold or be working towards at least Incorporated Engineer status via an appropriate institution, whilst preferably working towards Chartered Engineer status.
Personnel with relevant experience may be considered suitable subject to them having a clear route to Professional Membership with an appropriate approved institution.
Nuclear: Nuclear operator experience (RN or Industry) is desirable but not essential.
Experience Experience and knowledge in the delivery of In-service Submarine Support (including structure, stakeholders, operations, working practices etc.).
The post holder shall be capable of working professionally and objectively at a senior level, leading a project across multiple stakeholders and providing a clear project management focus.
The post holder shall have notable experience of project management and working in a team.