Up to £41.50 per hour
18 days ago
Mechanical Design Engineer (Helicopter Transmission Systems)
Morson are currently working in conjunction with a Large Commercial & Military Aerospace company and require an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer to join the client's Dynamic Systems team on a 3-month rolling contract. Working on Helicopter Transmission Systems, this role will ideally be suited to an individual with recent experience in designing flight critical mechanical components for civil or military aircraft.
Full details below:
Pay Rate: £41.50 per hour LTD
Duration: 3 Months (Rolling)
Location: Yeovil, Somerset
This role is to support and execute Transmission System Design related tasks, across various Aircraft platforms. Tasks will be varied, as the Transmission Design department are involved in the complete life cycle of Transmission units; from conceptual scheming, to detail definition/analysis through manufacture, development and qualification/certification. Then after entry into service, supporting activities on improvements, modifications, requirement changes, obsolesces, cost reduction, re-qualification/re-certification, in-service/customer support and repair/overhaul, all activities which are performed by the Transmission Engineering Group in Yeovil.
You will support the delivery of cost-effective designs/tasks and continued airworthiness of transmission system components. Accountable directly to the Head of Products/Chief Project of Transmission Engineering UK (Dynamic Systems Group).
* Product modification and embodiment (3D geometry) of transmission components, sub-assemblies and assemblies by using CATIA V5 CAD.
* Product modification and embodiment (2D geometry) of transmission components, sub-assemblies and assemblies by using CATIA V5 CAD.
* Preparation of detail definition for gears, bearings, casings, couplings and shafts.
* Product improvements.
* Product cost reduction.
* Preparation of technical reports relevant to the assigned activities.
* Preparation of presentation material on assigned tasks
* Preparation of specifications for vendor supplied components or assemblies.
* Support to Repair and Overhaul organisation.
- Support the Sustain Engineering function with in-service and production issues providing the needed drawings/sketches or repair schemes
* Support to Production Manufacturing.
- Active cooperation with the manufacturing engineering group during design/production phase to ensure manufacturing related aspects are incorporated.
* Support to In-service activities.
- Active cooperation with other functions within the organisation to support any relevant issue (interfaces with other aircraft elements, production issues, etc.)
* Good knowledge of CATIA V5 and FT&A package.
* Good knowledge of basics rules of mechanical design (dimensioning, tolerances, fittings).
* Motivated, good communication skills and organized mind-set.
* Knowledge of CAD 2D drafting.
* Knowledge of Microsoft Office Package (Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook).
* Degree in a relevant subject (e.g. mechanical engineering, other engineering, science or mathematics) or Educated to National Certificate (Diploma) level 3 in Mechanical Engineering or approved equivalent.
* Previous experience gained in a Mechanical Design Engineering environment.
* Knowledge of Helicopter Mechanical/Transmission systems.
* Basic knowledge and/or relevant experience in Stress and Fatigue analysis.
ADDITIONAL SECURITY INFORMATION: We seek an experienced Mechanical Design Engineer who has ideally worked in an Aerospace or Defence environment within the last 12 months, or who is capable of obtaining Baseline Security Clearance (BPSS). ITAR restrictions also apply to this role.