Crawley, West Sussex
£42.00 - £46.00 per annum
16 days ago
This job description describes what is expected of a Mechanical CAD Designer working within the Crawley FLX hardware engineering organisation.
Mechanical Engineering in the FLX Hardware Team provides diverse skills, knowledge, expertise and experience in the mechanical design of avionics equipment.
The role will require the designer to operate within multi-functional project/product teams. It will involve the design of complex, high performance sub-systems in agreed timescales. The position requires the use of our 3D CAD platform, Pro/Engineer (PTC CREO 4 )
Primary Purpose of the Job
To have the responsibility for the generation of manufacturing data for in-house design including Military and Commercial electronic equipment to meet the operational requirements of airborne based environments.
Operating within multi-functional project teams you will be responsible for meeting timescale and budget of agreed tasks. Depending on the size of the project you may report to the Mechanical Team Leader and/or Engineering Manager or Work Package Leader.
* Generation of 3D CAD layouts and generation of manufacturing data
* Support the project engineering team - liaise with, and support other disciplines.
* Report on progress
* Comply with local and company processes and procedures (supported by the Thales Engineering team)
* Implementing change to existing manufacturing data (drawings and CAD files)
* The candidate shall have a proven ability to produce conceptual and detail designs within the Pro/Engineer CAD tool.
* Generate Assembly and detail drawings and have experience in drawing free manufacture - machining direct from 3D CAD files.
* Configuration control within the 3D CAD environment - PDM Link and external product data management tools, eg TeamCenter.
* Working knowledge of military standards eg MoD and MIL
* Experience in the design of equipment for military environments eg 19" racks, cardframes, modules, and antennas.
* Experience in designing for shock, vibration and EMC.
* Good knowledge of materials and finishes.
* Use of 2D CAD would be an advantage for legacy product work
Ideally HNC/HND in Mechanical Design, alternatively proven track record in mechanical design for civil airborne applications.