Crawley, West Sussex
£38.00 - £42.00 per annum
3 months ago
ISR Hardware Engineering
Department: ISR Hardware - Mechanical Engineering
This job description describes what is expected of a Contract Mechanical CAD Designer working within the Crawley ISR hardware engineering organisation.
Mechanical Engineering in the ISR Hardware Team provides diverse skills, knowledge, expertise and experience in the mechanical design of multiple platform environments from submarines to aircraft.
The role will require the designer to operate within multi-functional project/product teams. It will involve the design of complex, high performance sub-systems in agreed timescales. The position requires the use of our 3D CAD platform, Pro/Engineer Wildfire 4.
Primary Purpose of the Job
To have the responsibility for the generation of manufacturing data for in-house design Military and Commercial electronic equipment to meet the operational requirements of airborne, seaborne, submarine and land based environments.
Operating within multi-functional project teams you will be responsible for meeting timescale and budget of agreed tasks. Depending on the size of the project you may report to the Mechanical Team Leader and/or Engineering Manager or Work Package Leader.
Generation of 3D CAD layouts and generation of manufacturing data
- Support the project engineering team - liaise with, and support other disciplines.
- Report on progress
- Comply with local and company processes and procedures (supported by the Thales Engineering team)
- Implementing change to existing manufacturing data (drawings and CAD files)
The candidate shall have a proven ability to produce conceptual and detail designs within the Pro/Engineer CAD tool.
- Generate Assembly and detail drawings and have experience in drawing free manufacture - machining direct from 3D CAD files.
- Configuration control within the 3D CAD environment - IntraLink and external product data management tools, eg TeamCenter.
- Working knowledge of military standards eg MoD and MIL
- Experience in the design of equipment for military environments eg 19" racks, cardframes, modules, and antennas.
- Experience in designing for shock, vibration and EMC.
- Good knowledge of materials and finishes.
- Experience in design of composite structures.
- Use of 2D CAD such as IDEAS would be an advantage for legacy product work
Ideally HNC/HND in Mechanical Design, alternatively proven track record in mechanical design for military applications.
A good team player with good communication skills.
Flexible and able to work with minimum supervision