Sam Mabbott B.Soc Sci
29 days ago
As an M&E Technician on our waterway you will play an important role using your technical expertise to assist with the implementation of improving M&E Assets within a defined area and will safely and efficiently support the delivery of improvements to the inland waterways network.
Experience and technical knowledge in the maintenance and repair of mechanical and rotational equipment including pumps, gear boxes and various mechanical applications. Knowledge in hydraulics is advantageous. The ability to work on your own initiative, good communication and problem-solving skills are essential. Effectively and efficiently utilise available resources to maintain the integrity and safety of the core waterway through the application of rigorous asset management procedures and risk evaluation. Delivering innovative solutions which conserve and enhance the heritage and environment of the waterway network for visitors to enjoy supporting our clients aims to improve safety and increase the number of people using the inland waterways network.
Knowledge, Skills/Qualifications & Experience
- Working outside provide mechanical, Hydraulic and marine support to assigned areas, assist in the resolution of mechanical and hydraulic engineering-related situations as they arise.
- Manage well-defined work programmes, PPM, and usually minor works to meet set objectives.
- Under supervision, produce recommendations to minor problems undertaking design where appropriate. Apply a working knowledge of statutory obligations, heritage and environmental requirements, and our clients policies, principles & standards to the delivery of work.
- Supervise third party works when required to delegated levels. With guidance, manage accounts for costs.
- Maintenance of mechanised bridges, locks, pumps and automated sluices which make up the waterways infrastructure within the vibrant Docklands area and across London. Plus works to the associated mechanical equipment & plant used to access the waterways.
- Completing routine planned maintenance and mandatory inspections to complex structures as well as completing re-active repairs. This ensures that structures operate correctly and that facilities such as access routes and lights are available to the thousands of people who access the canal network on a daily basis.
- Fault diagnosis and repair on the various hydraulic, mechanical and electrical systems, used to control and operate all the automated assets. The work plays a key part in making sure that commercial and private vessels can move around Docklands and on/off the River Thames.
- Assisting Dockside operational staff when required, including interaction with customers & volunteers alike. There are opportunities to get involved in local events and to work with people from local communities.
- Contribute to ensuring asset data quality with SAP, GIS and other operational information systems are accurate and up to date.
- Where a vacancy arises, participate where agreed in the standby rota to support delivery of customer service defined standards and reaction to emergency situations faults and breakdowns.
- Comply with our clients Health & Safety policy and defined standards, report incidents, accidents and near misses. Complete point of work risk assessments and adjust work methods where appropriate.
Skills & Qualifications:
- An understanding of Health & Safety within site work and have a good knowledge of appropriate mechanical and/or electrical regulations.
- Hydraulic installation / maintenance experience desirable
- Relevant valid CAATS competency for use of plant/tools and equipment to maintain the canal/river environment
- SAP skills & knowledge - Desirable but not essential.
- Valid driving licence appropriate for vehicle to be driven.
- IPAF and confined space trained desirable but not essential.
HNC (or similar level) in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
Mechanical, Hydraulic or Electrical experience. Ideally the successfully candidate will have strong mechanical skills but also be able to carry out electrical works including safe isolations.
Fabrication and welding
Experience and knowledge of fault diagnosis and repair