6 months ago
Part A - Application for Personnel
Job Title: Materials Lab Engineer (PTH) Vacancy Ref No: 2382750
Location: Portsmouth Date Required: June 2018
Clearance Level Required: BPSS
Part B - Job/Person Specification
The successful candidate will be required to apply for and receive a basic disclosure certificate prior to commencement of the contract.
Applications are via: https://www.gov.uk/request-copy-criminal-record at a fee of £25 which will need to be paid by card in full at the end of the application process. The cost of the application is only redeemable from the client once the contractor has started via the expense process.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Materials Laboratory Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space to work on space flight hardware including the ExoMars Rover project in Stevenage. This role reports to the Materials Laboratory Manager.
* You will contribute to the Materials and Processes team mission of assuring the quality of materials and processes used in Airbus Defence and Space products.
* You will provide support to in-process testing and batch acceptance testing of procured materials.
* Provide Materials Laboratory support to Projects
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
* Hands-on testing of materials and processes used in the manufacture of space products - mechanical and/or chemical, analysing the results and reporting data to enable internal customers to make informed pass/fail decisions
* Support Materials Engineering investigations, produce reports on the results drawing concise conclusions and present the findings to internal / external customers
* Support development and qualification programmes
* Contribute to the development and implementation of a 5S lean approach to laboratory working
* Support the continuous maintenance and review of Material Laboratory Procedures (MLPs) and laboratory working processes
* Maintain and improve internal databases and operating procedures
* Participate in Material Laboratory Audits, Safety Reviews and daily team meetings
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and / or experience:
* Degree in a Chemistry, Materials Science or Physics discipline
* Experience working within a commercial / Industrial laboratory environment
* Practical experience of mechanical testing and / or chemical testing, with a particular emphasis on industrial chemistry.
* Practical experience of micro sectioning and microscopy would be a distinct advantage
* Experience of working in a regulated laboratory to minimum ISO9000 quality standard
* Demonstrable team working skills, communication and presentation capability
* Flexible and proactive approach to work and is prepared to work at other Airbus sites and at customer and supplier locations as directed
* PC literate, report and specification writing, database maintenance and spreadsheets
* Fluent in written and spoken English