17 days ago
Morson International are currently recruiting for a Materials Engineer on behalf of BAE Systems at their site in Glascoed, South Wales.
A Materials Scientist is required to support a broad range of activities within the Land UK business. The selected candidate will support new technology development projects for current and future products and processes, and support development and manufacturing operations to resolve problems associated with material quality and obsolescence. Reporting to the Senior Materials Scientist, and working as part of the Engineering organisation, the role will ensure that our products meet exacting quality and performance requirements.
The role will demand a reasonable amount of travel between the Land UK sites and external suppliers/test houses.
Responsibilities will cover the need to assess various materials as part of programmes to introduce modern technologies to current legacy products, and into new products under development as part of ongoing product improvement and obsolescence mitigation activities.
This will involve liaison with Design Engineers, Procurement Professionals, material manufacturers and suppliers, and Universities and their associated manufacturing development enterprises, to identify and assess new manufacturing technologies. There is a need to ensure that the influence of REACH legislation is part of any assessments is an important aspect of the work.
The ability to write concise reports is essential.
Examples of recent and expected future activities include:-
- The identification and assessment of suitable corrosion protection systems for our products, as an alternative to Chromic Acid Anodising and Chromate Conversion Coatings.
- The identification of modern paint and varnish systems, and characterisation of their adhesion properties to substrates and other paint finishes, as alternatives to legacy materials currently in use.
- The identification of modern adhesives for a variety of uses, and comparison of their adhesion and release characteristics in order to replace legacy materials.
Competencies/Skills and Expertise
Competencies/Skills and Expertise include the following:
- A recognised material science or chemistry based qualification, preferably to degree level, but minimum HND/HNC, or similar qualification, with a good knowledge of chemistry pertinent to non-metallic materials.
- Experience in providing advice in the selection and testing of materials (including paints, adhesives and sealants), NDT procedures, and corrosion assessment control.
- An understanding of National and International material and material processing standards.