Our Portsmouth Client has a requirement for a Manufacturing Process Engineer to undertake the below contract role.
• Provide, maintain and improve assembly processes as the Space Production technical authority on satellite communication modules.
• Be the driving force behind process customisation activities for spacecraft assembly to ensure design for manufacture and implementation of innovative new technologies.
• As the internally recognised expert, be responsible for non-conformance resolution and robust second closure implementation to prevent reoccurrence.
• Support development and installation of new Manufacturing Execution Systems.
• Measure and maintain process cycle times and drive operational efficiency by reducing wastes and improving process performance
Project Customisation Phase
• Ensure design for manufacture by embedding SP best practice and supporting technical issues with the design team.
• Influence payload layout and optimise kit structure through 3D visualisation sessions.
• Work to prevent non-conformance and recurring issues by incorporating lessons learnt and innovative ideas at design level.
Project Preparation Phase
• Translate engineering requirements from design documentation to provide detailed schedule inputs to Lead Engineers based on process cycle times and sound product knowledge.
• Ensure variables that effect process durations are captured and translated into the assigned installation cycle times.
• Review and incorporate supplier handling requirements into SP operations.
• Interpret the payload BOM to assign generic integration processes for work instruction creation, including the development of procedures for new types of payload equipment.
• Review detailed assembly models to ensure the requirements for shop floor consumption are met.
• Review and approve all unplanned work requests specific to process before execution. Provide feedback to author, detailed schedule information and ensure all parts are available.
• Develop bespoke work orders when necessary.
• Provide technical input to project to ensure that new process and test methods do not compromise SP activities and production times. (Design for manufacture / test).
• Prepare inputs to assembly readiness review to support Lead Engineer.
• Undertake Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (PFMEA) to identify risks and implement preventative actions.
Project Operational Phase
• Monitor operational process performance and undertake Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) reviews to optimise working modes.
• Act as the technical lead for non-conformance investigations, resolution and operational support.
• Support quality reviews and perform root cause analysis.
• Produce re-work instructions based on product knowledge and robust generic procedures. Identify parts, tooling, skills and duration required to complete.
• Compile technical information required for efficient completion of transfer tasks.
• Design tooling / build aids for assembly execution.
• Lead improvement and R&D projects including implementation of innovative technology.
• Create and optimise training modules and media for assembly operations.
• Participate in the development and implementation of manufacturing execution systems.
• Good understanding and detailed experience of all types of mechanical systems.
• Lean manufacturing techniques including 5S, root cause analysis and continuous improvement.
• Manufacturing Engineering or production planning Support to operations.
• Mechanical processes including detailed assembly and fitting.
• Experience of lean engineering
• High mechanical skills and relevant experience.
• Procedures and process control.
• Practical and proactive.
• Quality driven approach with high attention to detail.
• Experience in writing engineering documents.
• Good understanding of manufacturing systems
• High self-motivation and ability to deal with changing priorities on a multi project basis.
• Good problem solving skills (technical, logistics and organisational).
• Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Good time management.
Base of Work
This role will be working on site full time - free parking is provided for this role