Stockport, Greater Manchester
Up to £32.72 per hour
about 1 month ago
Manufacturing Engineer require for an initial 12 month contract role.
We're seeking an experienced degree or equivalent qualified Manufacturing Engineer to be to work within a multifunctional engineering and operations team to design, install, monitor and develop all the systems and controls related to the successful introduction of a new product into manufacture. The aim of the manufacturing engineer is to develop and maintain efficient manufacturing systems, producing the maximum volume of high-quality product at the lowest cost, and in the shortest time.
Manufacturing engineers are involved in the entire product development lifecycle from initial bid, system design, detailed design and transfer into manufacture.
Typical work activities include:
* Defining and implementing process controls within a manufacturing environment for new and existing products
* Using lean manufacturing and problem solving techniques such as DMAIC, Ishikawa diagrams, Design of Experiments (DoE), and 6 sigma to identify opportunities and implement continuous improvement
* Using lean manufacturing techniques such as 5S and Kanban to design and improve the layout of the manufacturing environment
* Creating manufacturing instructions from a high level set of design documentation
* Driving continuous improvement and lean manufacturing activities through involvement with the manufacturing team
* Mentoring operations staff in continuous improvement, lean manufacturing, and problem solving techniques
* Liaising with designers, researchers and engineering consultants in upstream engineering design activities such as detailed design reviews, make buy decisions, creation of manufacturing instructions etc
* Leading manufacturing orientation design activities to ensure that they are performed in accordance with best practices (workmanship, safety etc.)
* Overseeing the installation, commissioning, repair, and re-assembly of critical capital equipment
* Assisting in the resolution of supplier and in house build issues
* Creating new product routings, and refreshing existing routings
* Assisting with make vs. buy decisions and out-sourcing or in-sourcing opportunities
* Identifying and removing potential hazards
* Assisting in the calculation of production costs
* Sourcing new suppliers of industrial equipment
* Demonstrating new and existing equipment to systems engineers, support staff and production managers
You will be required to work with the Manufacturing Manager and IPT Managers to develop schedules of work for specific tasks.
You will also be expected to perform tasks in accordance with these agreed schedules. It is expected that key milestones are established and achievement against these milestones is proactively managed
You will furthermore be expected to make decisions to support the dimensions of the role identified above as well as be expected to be able to support and justify decisions made to senior members of the management team as required.
Given the nature of the role there is the need to develop a good working relationship with a range of stakeholders including : Engineering Manager, Supply Chain Cell Managers and Planners
Successful applicants are likely to have :
Manufacturing engineering experience within a low to medium volume, light mechanical / electro-mechanical environment
Awareness and extensive use of continuous improvement techniques and implementation of lean manufacturing
Experience of manufacturing systems, including routings, BOM`s, Concessions, Change Requests etc.
Broad process knowledge including machining, assembly (both mechanical and electronic) and test
The holder of the role is also expected to have the ability to communicate clearly and freely as well as to have the ability to produce high standard documentation for project and external use.
The key challenge of the role is to provide a smooth transition of the product from design through to build in a cost effective way whilst producing a high quality compliant product. Given the nature of the business, products are often required against very tight timescales.