Up to £32.73 per hour
8 months ago
12 months PLUS
A leading Defence equipment manufacturers based in Glasgow are seeking experience manufacturing Buyers to join their growing team. This is a contract role but likely to be long- term (initial duration of 12 months).
Primary Purpose of the Role:
The job holder will ensure the timely availability of materials having regard for quality, technical specification, contractual conditions, inventory levels, material management and total acquisition cost. They are responsible for the creation of Purchase Orders and their subsequent delivery, ensuring effective supplier performance and relationship management.
The main relationships managed are with:
CBU Procurement Teams
Procurement Competence Centres
In addition the job holder will regularly interface with:
Bids & Project Management
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Interface with relevant Subcontract Managers and Procurement Bids and Project Managers to ensure requirements are met for Bids and Programmes
- Interface with relevant departments to ensure overall supply requirements are met.
- Support Procurement Competence Centres or CBU Procurement Teams in the development of Category Policies
- Preparation, validation and scheduling of purchase orders to achieve appropriate level of material availability by providing a stable and optimised flow to meet the Master Production Schedule or equivalent plan.
- Identify deviations from the requirement plan, take remedial action as necessary to achieve conformance or minimise necessity for rescheduling.
- Maintain lead time and re-order level information in appropriate systems.
- Conduct all activities in accordance with Chorus processes
- Monitor process efficiency including inventory levels, open order book levels, work queues, lead time increases, unmatched invoices etc.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and reducing time or cost of the end to end supply chain process
Tendering and Negotiation
- Issue Request for Quotations (RFQs) in support of Programme and Bid requirements
- Agree schedules with suppliers to optimise delivery flow to production
- Negotiate purchase pricing and terms and conditions where applicable and where not defined under pre-existing contracts or Category Supplier Frame Agreements
- Flowing down applicable terms and conditions including customer, product or programme specific conditions
- Ensure all acquisitions are in accordance with the applicable Category Policy whether UK PCC or CBU specific.
- To consider responsible and sustainable sourcing to identify and mitigate sustainability and compliance risks where applicable.
- Generate and issue Purchase orders utilising the MRPII & Procurement Systems
- Sign and approve purchase orders within Delegation of Authority Limits
- Dealing with incidents and complaints made by Procurement Requesting Parties
- Ensuring the follow-up of export license requests for Procurement in sensitive situations
- Ensure all PO's reflect any engineering changes, and take into account scrap, re-work and stock levels
- Follow up on POs, registering PO Acknowledgements, checking disparities and letting the Requesting Party know if necessary Dealing with typical disputes with suppliers and escalating major disputes to the relevant stakeholders.
- Computer literacy particularly with respect to MS Office packages and MRP systems.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Customer (internal and end) focus
- Stakeholder Management Skills
- Ability to build effective relationships with Suppliers
- An adequate, but not specialist, understanding of the technical and non-technical requirements.
- The jobholder should be delivery orientated while ensuring the budget and all contractual commitments are met.
- Ethical awareness and the direct application to delivery of role.
- Proactive approach to work and problem solving
- Proven Negotiation Skills
- Technical and Supply Market knowledge of the Procurement categories relevant to the role.
- Relevant experience in procurement or supply chain/manufacturing roles
- Experienced in using MRP/ERP systems such as Oracle or SAP
- Use of Supplier Relationship and Performance Management techniques and measurement
If this position is of interest please apply or contact Matthew Crook on