City of London, London
£55000.00 - £65000.00 per annum
27 days ago
Morson International is proud to be the recruitment partner for The Low Carbon Contracts Company as they embark upon a their recruitment campaign. We are looking to recruit to the position of Legal Advisor/Solicitor. To work from their offices based off Fleet Street, London.
The Low Carbon Contracts Company (LCCC) and the Electricity Settlements Company (ESC) sit at the heart of the delivery of the UK's goals for secure, affordable and sustainable electricity. Run as a private, not for profit limited company, the LCCC primarily provides the mechanism behind Contracts for Difference (CfD) - a contract introduced by the government to infinitive's investment in secure, low-carbon electricity.
By enabling smaller low-carbon generators to gain entry through long-term revenue stabilisation, the LCCC plays a pivotal part in the UK's Energy Market Reform, the biggest change to the electricity market since privatisation.
Reporting into, Director of Legal and Company Secretary
The Legal Advisor will provide legal advice to LCCC and ESC as a member of the Legal team and will assist the Director of Legal and other Legal team members to support the business activities and operations of LCCC and ESC.
The role will require the delivery of high quality legal advice to the deadlines required for the delivery of the organisation's operational requirements. The Legal Advisor will be responsible for working in a collegiate way with other functional colleagues on significant company projects (e.g. delivery of Legal's responsibilities in relation to CFD allocation rounds).
The role will be expected to have an understanding of the wider company strategic goals and participate as a valued staff member in helping the company achieve those goals.
The key responsibilities of the role are:
* Provide general legal advice relating to the CFD contracts, Capacity Market matters, contract management issues, regulatory matters, business operations, procurement, public procurement, compliance, FOI and general legal issues.
* Review heavyweight and complex contractual and project documentation.
* Review and provide input into draft consultations, draft regulations and other documentation.
* Develop and review processes, guidance documents and standards applicable to contracts and business operations.
* Provide ad hoc advice and support around contractual claims and disputes, the dispute resolution processes and dispute resolution strategies.
* Work with third parties providing external assistance, with a view to minimising overall cost and risk to LCCC and ESC.
* Identify legal issues and ensure that the Director of Legal is kept informed.
* Work with functional colleagues on the delivery of company projects and responsibilities.
Skills/Experience Required for the Role:
* Solicitor around 5-6 years PQE, preferably with in-house experience.
* Knowledge and experience of the electricity industry, renewables or the utilities sector is highly desirable.
* Knowledge and experience of one or more of the following is desirable but not essential - construction, commercial, infrastructure projects, project finance, public law, public procurement, disputes and litigation.
* Experience of drafting and negotiating complex and heavyweight contracts.
* Ability to commission and manage external legal advisers to budget and negotiate successful client outcomes.
* Ability to provide an authoritative view on complex legal questions.
* Sound judgement in order to balance risks and influence senior colleagues and high level stakeholders both internally, within Government and externally across the electricity industry.
* Ability to draft to an exacting standard.
* Attention to detail and ability to assimilate and analyse large quantities or complex materials while retaining an ability to see the big picture.
* Ability to deliver quality work to tight deadlines.
* Excellent influencing, oral and written communication skills.
* Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work closely and collaboratively with colleagues across LCCC/ESC and stakeholders to deliver high quality outcomes.
* Ability to build relationships and promote respect for the Legal Department.
* Ability to be recognised as a value adding, pragmatic operator.
* Experience of working within or advising a similar business with complex long term contracting arrangements, settlements and payments.
* Experience of working with or in Government is desirable
* Strong analytical, contractual, commercial and drafting skills.
* Team player with credibility to operate at senior level.
Team Commitments for Legal team
* Work collaboratively to provide high quality legal advice by the deadlines we agree with you to build trust in the capability of the company
* Consider alternative commercial viewpoints to provide optimum legal service
* Keep up-to-date with relevant legal and energy industry developments
* Act with integrity and in the best interests of the business in accordance with our professional standards
* Give objective and independent legal advice, highlighting relevant risks as appropriate