Greater Manchester, England
£400 - £450 per day
Rail Technical Team
7 months ago
Our client has an exciting opportunity for a Systems Engineer to support their light rail infrastructure programme of works in Manchester.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
To manage the Systems Engineering Process to company and international standards for defined packages of work. To provide line management and technical leadership to Systems Engineers.
The Lead Systems Engineer typically works with a team of engineers to define what will be designed, how it will perform and how it will be determined that it is working correctly
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
* Converts requirements into conceptual designs and prepares associated documentation by performing operational analyses, simulations and technical trade-off studies evaluating alternative design configurations and functional features.
* Good understanding of the development lifecycle and lifecycle products.
* Interfacing with the client, to gain approval of test specifications and to host acceptance testing activities.
* Help develop and execute Test Specifications including:
Support the development of test plans and test strategy documents
Support the development of test specifications, working from system requirements.
Execute test specifications (according to test plan and project schedule)
Record and/or authorise results of test execution
Maintain quality target/standard
* Able to create and/or authorise outline designs from requirements using a variety of design toolsets
* Similarly creates new concepts or modifies existing concepts to fulfil requirements where necessary
* Prepares system & subsystem requirement specifications, interface requirements and test requirement documents by analysing, decomposing modelling and refining customer requirements.
* Prepares system operational plans and reports that explain how the equipment being developed meets requirements. Operational design limits are evaluated and defined performance analyses and simulations are developed & performed to support the above.
* Performs technical/engineering tasks to define system design and subsystem requirements details.
* Analysis and simulations are performed as necessary to identify design feasibility & driving requirements.
* Supervises staff, by defining their work, coaching them on how and what to prepare, monitoring their progress and directing them on priorities.
* Proposes work package estimates and descriptions based on knowledge of the work and project requirements, ensuring that compliant solutions at optimum cost are identified.
* Develop, implement and maintain tools relevant to the Systems Engineering function. Manage the assessment of relevant tools.
* Defines or proposes updates of processes and standards covering the work and its products based on knowledge of systems engineering.
* Keep abreast of technical development in the railway signalling field both within and outside of the company.
* Manage the production of quality metrics to measure the soundness of the System Engineering processes under your control.
Key performance Indicators against Responsibilities and Tasks:
This role is continually monitored for performance and as such some of the following typical Key performance indicators (KPI's) will be used
* Quality of work produced against agreed standards
* Delivery to timescales
* Delivery to budget
* Performance against key values
* Performance against mandatory training
Expected Competence Level:
Skills (underpinning Knowledge)
* Able to use a range of IT tools.
* Has a sound ability to use system engineering tools.
* Has a working knowledge of the CDM regulations.
* Has a working knowledge of configuration control.
* Can manage a project through a defined process and is able to tailor CHORUS2 to project needs.
* Can define metrics as part of Quality assurance & control.
* Working knowledge of project plans.
* Has a working knowledge of Engineering Safety Management