South Lanarkshire, Scotland
14 days ago
Our client a leading Energy company are seeking a Lead Design Engineer for a long-term contract role based in South Lanarkshire.
Reporting to the Plant Engineering Section Head, you will be responsible for developing and delivering engineering solutions, from feasibility to detailed engineering designs, for all plant engineering for transmission networks (132kV and above) including substations and all other associated 33kV and ancillary equipment. This will include providing the necessary basic and detailed engineering specifications and designs for projects, innovation, effective technical support, advice and input throughout the lifecycle of the project.
* Advise on the development of pre-contract design and delivery of projects by leading/supporting the technical aspects of switchgear, transformers and all other associated equipment
* Assess engineering documentation, feasibility and compliance with client requirements and support the preparation of accurate budgets for new projects.
* Advise on construction and outage programmes where required in relation to plant engineering.
* Responsible for preparing basic and detailed engineering specifications and designs for main plant and substations.
* Responsible for providing technical assessment of tender submissions and reporting recommendations to client.
* Define main plant and ancillary apparatus requirements for input to System Construction
Authorisation (SCA), Project Technical Specifications and BETTA documentation.
* Preparation/Review of substation plant drawings and specifications for construction/procurement. Control of correspondence and drawings to be issued to the Project Development and Delivery Teams.
* Ensure substation designs and equipment are in accordance with current legislation, policies and operational requirements.
* Lead the technical resolution of site/ construction main plant issues
* Tender assessment of main equipment and materials (including suppliers), support to project management on the assessment of bids.
* Provide technical support to the Project Development and Project Delivery teams on matters concerning the design, construction and operation of power systems substations
and associated equipment
*Lead training needs assessment for new products or similar and the development and delivery of technical, operational and safety packages for such products.
*Support Plant Engineering Section Head in the development of national and international standards or other regulatory matters related to plant engineering.
Skills and Requirements
We are looking for candidates with ability to represent departments or project teams regarding plant engineering issues, decisions, standards or industry best practice, with good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to form effective working relationships with other individuals, departments and businesses.
To be successful in this role you will need to demonstrate as a minimum:
* Chartered Engineer or working towards
* Engineering degree or equivalent significant experience
* Skills in use of MS Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, AutoCAD.
* Knowledge of Transmission Operator Networks health and safety and technical requirements and compliance
* A broad understanding of Electrical Network Owners / Operators and the market these business operates in
* Proven experience / expert knowledge in design for the areas of substations and plant engineering at voltages from 33kV to 400kV
* Proven experience and knowledge of CDM regulations and Designer risk assessment