8 months ago
Lead Conventional Island Engineer, Contract, 12 months, Gloucester
The purpose of the post is to support the Head of Balance of Plant in providing adequate control and oversight of the design (including modifications and concessions) with the responsibility for review and acceptance of all Balance of Plant aspects of the UK ABWR. The Post holder will deliver authoritative advice on the mechanical and electrical systems and civil engineering within the defined scope of the plant
- Support the Head of Balance of Plant, as a core member of the Design Authority Team, in the delivery of business plan related targets and undertake specific roles within the Clients Management System when so required.
- Deliver authoritative advice in all technical areas associated with mechanical and electrical systems and civil engineering within the Conventional Island scope of the project.
- Lead review activities for high significance design changes (i.e. Category 1 or 2 Design Changes) providing a recommendation to the Decision Panel as to whether to accept or reject the change.
- Engage with members of the DA on low significance design changes (i.e. Category 3 or 4) reporting any categorisation or process-related discrepancies to the Decision Panel.
- Lead the review of Major concessions providing a recommendation to the appropriate DA Head of Section as to whether to grant or reject the concession.
- Provide support to the Head of Design Authority in defining safety and environmental functional requirements and the preparation of the site specific nuclear safety and BAT cases in accordance with agreed project programmes.
- Provide support to the Licensing team in accordance with agreed project programmes to ensure that licensing requirements are met.
- Provide support and mentoring to UK GDA SMEs working in the technical areas associated with Conventional Island and Balance of Plant structures, systems and components.
- Provide oversight and supervision of work undertaken within the Conventional Island and BoP team.
- Act as Intelligent Customer for support services provided by others (including Responsible Designers for highly specialised design knowledge).
- Provide staff management and motivation by regular personal contact, including competency assessment, regular reviews of performance and development plans of any assigned staff, allocating staff to work for which they are suitably qualified and experienced, and providing appropriate supervision, where required.
Accountable to Head of Balance of Plant for:
- Recruitment, line management and motivation of Conv. Island & BoP Plant team.
- Delivery of business plan objectives.
- Ensure the design is reviewed and accepted/rejected and established under configuration control using the Design Change Control process.
- Ensure concessions are reviewed and granted/rejected using the Concessions Management process.
- Development of Conv. Island capability and resources.
- Provision of authoritative advice on Conv. Island design issues.
- The Post Holder will possess a degree or equivalent qualification in a suitable engineering or science subject.
- The Post Holder will be a Chartered Engineer or Scientist.
- Demonstrates a track record of success, achievement and learning in career to date, adding value within relevant positions.
- They will have experience of the review and acceptance/adoption of nuclear power station designs and safety cases.
- They will have experience of interfacing with UK Nuclear Regulators on design issues related to reactor plant.
- They will demonstrate extensive knowledge and understanding across a broad range of Conv. Island structures, systems and components design and safety issues including Steam.
- Display personal impact, credibility and professional maturity.
- Flexibility and mobility to undertake business travel as required.