£9.51 - £11.07 per hour
3 months ago
Our client, the Culham Centre for Fusion Energy (CCFE) in Oxfordshire is the UK's national laboratory for fusion research. With a strong focus upon cutting edge science and technology CCFE is one of the country's most prestigious research hubs.
CCFE have a longer term contract requirement for a Laboratory Technician.
To provide routine beryllium and tritium analysis services in the HP laboratory whilst maintaining the highest levels of accuracy and precision. To abide by all laboratories safety instructions and to follow prepared procedures accurately, particularly concerning work under the UKAS 17025 accreditation.
* The Analytical Laboratory Technician (ALT) is responsible for the preparation of samples for beryllium analysis by UV fluorescence acid digestion and AAS analysis as defined in the laboratory's procedures.
* The ALT is responsible for the preparation of samples for tritium analysis by liquid scintillation techniques as defined in the laboratory's procedures.
* Undertake additional duties (Personal Air Sampler preparation and processing and TWA Approved Operator) to support UKAS ISO17025 accreditation.
* Carry out support duties for the routine functioning of the laboratory, e.g. result input, ensuring results database is valid, record keeping, glassware cleaning, stocking up, contribute to 5S &7 Wastes activities in the HP lab, and other tasks to support lab services.
* Preparation of blanks, standards, QA standards, solutions and other materials to a high quality and precision as detailed in the laboratory procedures.
* The ALT must have a clear understanding of the laboratory safety systems (e.g. acid fume scrubber) and be able to shut down and restart the system safely.
* Attend Group and Laboratory meetings as required.
* The ALT is responsible for calculating beryllium and tritium data prior to publication of the data via the site's intranet.
* Use of Electronic Clearance Certificate System for the disposal of laboratory waste.
* All opinions and interpretations of results are to be made to the Laboratory Supervisor in the first instance. Contact the Laboratory Supervisor or Lab ATO holder concerning any technical problems with plant and any other equipment.
* The ALT is required to assist from time to time in modifications to current methodology and in the validation of new methodologies.
* The ALT is required to assist with the 'on the job' training of new staff in all HP analytical laboratory procedures, and all safety aspects of working in the laboratory.
* Support and assist the Laboratory Supervisor in managing processes in the analytical laboratory.
Science qualifications at 'A' level or equivalent.
Ability to follow precisely lab procedures and safety requirements.
Experience of work in a busy laboratory
Experience in working to ISO17025.