Interface Team Engineer
- Electrical/Electronic and/or System Engineering
- This role will centre on the production of Interface & Cabling worksheets for a variety of ship's systems to feed in to the Master Interface Database, which is in turn used to produce Cable Routing Outputs for use by the Detailed Design Team.
- A key element of the role is the assessment of system Third Party Information (TPI) to identify system interfaces and their associated cabling and termination requirements.
- The Interface Engineer will be required to translate this information into a purpose-made Microsoft Excel based tool, which allows interface and cabling requirements to be captured and configured against the project Master Equipment List.
- The Interface Engineer may also be required to use the interface information to produce interface and cabling Single Line Diagrams (using AutoCAD software) for delivery to the Classification Society.
- Regular reporting of progress against the Interface Team Schedule will be required and early identification of issues and risks is encouraged.
- Working knowledge of marine systems, in both electrical and non-electrical contexts
- Ability to understand and interpret Classification Society (Lloyd's Register) requirements in the context of cable selection and routing.
- Experience of assessing system block diagrams, cable lists, termination sheets and interface control documentation.
- Selection and checking of suitable cable types/characteristics for a given application.
- Good attention to detail with the ability to identify inconsistencies across complex datasets and design information.
- Ability to work independently and solve problems via liaison with other functions across the project.
- Strong interpersonal skills, adept at communicating at various levels across technical and commercial settings.
- Ability to clearly articulate progress and report key issues and risks to team management, and proactively work to minimise technical and schedule impacts.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Excel highly desirable.
- Basic knowledge of AutoCAD desirable.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Ensure definition of design solution(s) and deliverables to required standards, consistent with whole lifecycle from concept through to in service support.
- Prepare & produce drawings throughout design lifecycle and in line with recognised ISO standards to the required time, cost and quality requirements.
- Prepare, produce and maintain project documentation as required by the design lifecycle, produce and update 'as built' /datum pack documentation.
- Liaise with colleagues and stakeholders during design lifecycle to ensure coordination and functionality of design, including contribution to design reviews.
- Develop innovative design solutions and solutions to manufacturing and installation issues by assisting in the resolution of Production and Technical Queries.
- Interface with customers and supply chain on design issues and assist with procurement specifications.
- Assist more senior designers in a range of activities including, production of estimates, maintenance and improvement in standard and quality of outputs, production and test organisations with the compilation of test forms and procedures.
- Fulfil Design Lead responsibilities as assigned for single discipline low risk projects
To apply for this position, you must be eligible to live and work in the UK and either possess or be able to obtain UK MOD Security Clearance to SC Level.
The role requires a good understanding of engineering and design practices as relevant to a design discipline including appropriate CAD skills, written and verbal communications skills, and an understanding of Risk Management. Generates a wide range of common or complex design situations and problems or detail for assemblies, components or systems. Applies knowledge to develop design solutions to a wide range of common or complex design situations & problems under limited technical supervision. Typically Engineering Tech status
Requires ONC/HNC/HND (or equivalent) OR BTEC National Certificate/Diploma (or equivalent) OR appropriate apprenticeship of specialisation AND
Relevant industry experience, requires referenced levels of the ICF (Integrated Competency Framework) to be demonstrated or being worked towards AND engaged in structured development and is working towards meeting the registration requirements of the Engineering Council at Incorporated Engineer Level.