Up to £26.00 per hour
2 months ago
This role is to define and steer the industrialisation of production lines for the shop floor (Lean Layout & Processes, Workbenches, Machines, Digitalisation)
To provide leadership for the production of fully integrated Satellite Telecoms and ENS Products based on robust inputs, processes and procedures, for implementation into production.
- As the project focal point, the Lead Engineer defines the production schedule, identifies opportunities from manufacturing experience and sets out daily priorities for the operations teams.
- A dynamic and essential role that deals with daily challenges, changing priorities and resolving blocking actions to ensure schedule adherence, yet, maintaining quality and costs.
- AIT Engineering Teams (M-AIT)
- AIT Operations Team Leader(s)
- AIT Operations (M-AIT)
- AIT Production Control
- AIT Quality Team
- AIT KPO's
- AIT Delivery Manager
- MFT leads and Design KPO's
- Cross Site AIT Engineering Teams
- Project Management Team
- Engineering Support to Manufacture (ESM)
- Product Assurance Team (PA)
- Mechanical, Equipping & Thermal Design Teams
- Lead/co-ordinate a team of engineers, offering technical advice and guidance with respect to the product flow
- Liaise with management over manpower and budgets as necessary
- Drive the ideal that AIT Engineering are the technical authority internally and externally for manufacture
- To flow new initiatives and ideas to those within the process teams and ensure subsequent feedback to process owners
- Lead industrialisation projects
- Establish layout for the production line based on existing work, value stream mapping, and other initiatives
- Redefine layout as required with focus on industrialisation
- To provide regular feedback to management on current progress, workings and issues on behalf of their team
Customisation / Preparation Phase Responsibilities:
- Co-ordinate Product/Process Owner(s) responsibilities for inputs into the generic schedule.
- Product manufacturing flow and area layout definition
- Generic Sequence / VPB (IPS) Maintenance (Overall Build for Project) - Process Improvement, Maintenance, Lessons Learned, customisation as required.
- Attending and/or supporting all meetings / reviews relating to the products manufacture ensuring support is in place where required, taking any appropriate actions, relating to development, planning, or manufacture.
- Attend inputs preparation meeting to define and ensure KIDs for product / project are fit for Manufacture (DFM)
- Manage the creation of all documentation, liaising with the process owners to provide a scheduled requirement.
- Define the manufacturing sequence based on experience and CAIT specific knowledge to optimise the overall Product/Project schedule in Primavera P6 (agree structure of PBOMs to ensure this is efficient for AIT need)
- Liaison with relevant stakeholders / areas to ensure best practice on process in design and manufacture.
Operations Phase Responsibilities:
- The Lead Engineer is the AIT point of contact for the project.
- Manage costs for the project and provide inputs to monthly cost reviews, as well as contributing to Customisation Close Out (CCO)
- Provide timely feedback to appropriate managers on process engineering issues.
- Drive and continuously monitor the Manufacturing Production schedule to ensure the timely delivery and optimum sequence for manufacture VPB to P6 durations.
- Attend and define daily priorities for operations team at the daily meetings (SQCDP), including optimisation of task lists for the following day.
- Attend scheduled and ad hoc meetings, and GO meetings, contributing to issues relating to process engineering and specifying details, including manufacturing readiness state
- Appreciation of manufacturing techniques eg. CFRP, structural bonding or TIG welding, within the aerospace industry
- Use of Windchill, SAP, P6, IPS, 3D live or other ERP System
- Understanding of build documentation to ensure clear instructions are given to shop floor operators.
- Lean, Six Sigma projects, Layout definition, product implementation
- Driving build quality through review of processes and implementation of improvements
- Managing a multi-disciplined team during investigations and initiatives
- Controlling and delivery of projects to budget and schedule
- Good understanding and detailed experience of mechanical engineering and systems, including but not limited to: Lean manufacturing techniques including 5S, root cause analysis and continuous improvement (Green belt).
- Production planning.
- Support to operations.
- A background in an aerospace engineering environment, preferably within the space sector
- High level mechanical skills and relevant experience.
- Procedures and process control.
- Team working and team leading skills.
- Practical and proactive.
- Process and Quality driven approach with high attention to detail.
- High self-motivation and ability to deal with changing priorities on a multi project basis.
- Good planning skills and process competence (MRP system experience an advantage).
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Previous experience of aerospace structures and build requirements is a distinct advantage.
Education & Training
Minimum HNC level in a Mechanical discipline (or lesser qualification if a high level of relevant experience can be demonstrated in the required disciplines).