High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
£350.00 - £450.00 per day
3 months ago
Project ILS Manager
Loudwater, Buckinghamshire - 4 month contract - Up to £450 per day Ltd
We are looking to recruit an ILS Manager to work on contract for our defence client based in Buckinghamshire. You will potentially be working across a range of command and control, communications, sensor, sonar and countermeasure products including naval sonar, airborne sonar, torpedo defence systems, combat management systems, gun fire control systems, electro-optic systems, cameras, data distribution systems and weapon interfacing electronics.
The purpose of the role is to provide Supportability Engineering expertise to design teams to ensure the availability, reliability and maintainability of product designs and the development of the support solution for products across the client portfolio with a focus on Sonar Systems.
The Project ILS Manager oversees all of the ILS activities within their allocated projects, supporting the Project Engineering Lead with specialist technical knowledge and working closely with the Sales & Marketing Managers to capture emerging business and develop new support offerings.
As a senior member of the ILS Department, this role will involve providing coaching and skills development to junior members of the team, as well as raising awareness of ILS across the engineering department as a whole.
- Leading the ILS activities for assigned projects throughout the lifecycle.
- Ensuring that ILS is considered as part of any Design Review.
- Briefing change approvers on the underlying assumptions of the support concept and the areas where design change is likely to impact upon ILS.
- Providing training and coaching to junior staff within the department.
- Managing and coordinating assigned ILS Programmes.
- Making recommendations on the tailoring of ILS activities to meet the requirements of a particular project.
- Supporting the Design Review process as the project Subject Matter Expert on ILS.
- Providing ILS input to the System Requirements Specification and making recommendations on the verification method for ILS related requirements.
- Undertaking reliability modelling and making recommendations on robustness growth, spares provisioning and preventative maintenance.
- Conducting maintenance task analysis and level of repair analysis and supporting maintenance safety assessments.
- Ensuring that the assigned requirements are met and verified through a programme of progressive assurance in line with the system Validation & Verification strategy.
- Supporting the Change Control & Obsolescence Management processes to ensure that the supportability implications of proposed changes & obsolescence resolution actions are considered.
- Supporting the ILS aspects of Bid / Business Development activities as required.
- Maintain the ILS statement of work and schedule in line with the project schedule and contract, bringing any forecast schedule or budget variances to the attention of the PM, and any other relevant parties, at the earliest opportunity.
- Provide support to all departments including Business Development with the structure and definition of ILS tasks for current projects and bid preparation.
- Maintain the logistic breakdown structure for assigned products and identify logistically significant candidate items.
- Undertake Whole Life / Through Life Cost Modelling to inform the overall business case for a product.
- Provide support to cost estimation activities as part of bid preparation (PQQ, RFQ, ITT, etc.)
- Provide ILS input to project progress reports and meetings; engineering estimates to define and complete Work Packages; supportability risk and safety identification, assessment and mitigation; verification, validation and acceptance activities.
- Ensure support deliverables comply (where applicable) with the relevant standards or mandated requirements (e.g. Def Stan 00-40, 00-251, 00-600, the DLF, ASD/AIA S-Series standards) and that appropriate international best practice is applied.
Practitioner or Expert in:
- ILS Tailoring & Project Management, including support to bids
- Reliability & Maintainability including production of FTAs, FMEAs, RBDs, Robustness Growth
- Utilisation of In Service Support Feedback, including via DRACAS
- Knowledge of relevant standards, e.g. S2000M, S3000L, S5000F, S6000T, JSP886, Def Stans 00-600, 00¬40, 00-45.
- Proven ability gained within ILS engineering across multiple complex (platform or major subsystem level) projects in Defence
Please note, due to the sensitive nature of the projects involved all candidates must be capable of gaining a full UK MOD Security Clearance to SC level.