We are looking for an HSSE Specialist/Manager to focus on construction and contractor management to be based on site at URENCO UK Limited. The candidate will be responsible for operational delivery on project improvements. Candidates will have a proven track record within industrial and highly regulated industry construction, be experienced with CDM regulations and have strong stakeholder liaison skills.
To be the Capenhurst Sites Subject Matter Expert for contractor management and management of construction, as defined in CDM Regulations, and the development of arrangements for the practical and pragmatic implementation of applicable law, relevant good practice and business requirements, thereby assisting the three Capenhurst companies in achieving excellence in construction and contractor management
Works in a highly regulated environment as a result of there being three Environmental Permit holders, a Nuclear Site Licensee (and two site tenants) and a COMAH Operator on the Capenhurst site.
Provides leadership in the development and implementation of the site assurance programme, which provides evidence of site performance in Health and Safety to the company leadership teams
As a specialist in the department, will be able to, or will work towards the ability to, provide basic advice and guidance on other HSSE subject areas.
Internal: Teams, Team Leaders and Managers who work in/ are responsible for projects, operations and work areas
External: Relevant regulators, Urenco Group, site and Group working groups on safety and related subjects, representatives from contractor supply chain.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (BRIEF DESCRIPTION)
• Providing pragmatic and useful advice and guidance in all HSE topics but primarily to ensure compliance with the Construction Design and Management Regulations (CDM), and environmental regulations and Capenhurst mangement system requirements applicable to construction, project execution, temporary works, and contractor management. This requires collaborative working with the other Specialists and Advisers in HSSE and continual intelligence gathering from around the Capenhurst site, building constructive relationships with a wide range of interested parties.
• Provide technical expertise to the development and implementation of a management system which ensures compliance with relevant law and company and industry requirements, with specific accountability for CDM and contractor management. Provision of advice on the practical implementation within the Capenhurst companies.
• Provide advice and challenge to leadership across the Capenhurst site in terms of site performance in construction and contractor management, including working collaboratively with other areas of the businesses at Capenhurst to identify and implement learning and improvement strategies and activities.
• Delivers a range of generic HSSE activities as required by departmental management, including leading and contributing to investigations, audits and inspections, continual improvement, training etc.
• Act as a coach and mentor to others across site to support compliance with legislation and the development of the desired safety culture and behaviours.
• Act as contract manager and IC as required for relevant contracts related to the HSSE service.
• Develop and implement appropriate internal performance reporting tools, and embed them into the running of the three Capenhurst businesses. Ensure external (including regulatory) reporting requirements are met.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
There may be differences in how the job operates within companies, countries or sites which do not impact the size of the role but reflect different local applications of the job. These do not necessarily impact the size of the job.
Education & Qualifications Required
• NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent
• NEBOSH Certificate in Construction Health and Safety
• IEMA accredited certificate in Environmental Management or equivalent (or commitment to work towards)
• Recognised lead auditor training (or a commitment to work towards)
• Chartership of a relevant professional body (or a commitment to work towards)
• Appropriate instruction in conducting investigations, including Root Cause Analysis (or a commitmentt to work towards)
• Driving for results (4)
• Working Collaboratively (3)
• Acting decisively (4)
• Customer Orientation (4)
• Building a learning culture (3)
• Previous, proven experience of providing health and safety and environment management advice in a construction and project environment
• Experience of working with and/or developing Integrated Management Systems or Safety Management Systems
• Experience of successfully influencing at all levels of a business, including where conflicting priorities exist and outwit own reporting line
• Experience of working within large construction projects in nuclear, COMAH or other high-hazard industries, including interacting with relevant regulators
• Experience of establishing frameworks to assess contractor performance against industry best practice and company objectives
Specific know how and technical skills
• Organised and fully autonomous, able to programme and prioritise work, coordinating effort with others and keeping leadership informed of progress and obstacles.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills including: ability to explain concepts in simple terms, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to liaise with all levels of the organisation ability to gain trust and engagement with all parts of the site. Proficient in Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, Visio and Power Point.
• Ability to coach and support learning in the working environment, to support the development of individuals, and the cross functionality of the wider HSSE team
• Problem solving and analytical skills, and the ability to identify opportunities for improvement and implement measures to achieve it.
• Broad knowledge of the legislative landscape applicable to Capenhurst site.
• Detailed understanding of the CDM Regulations and their practical application.
Interested? Please contact Ben Pascall on 07890 609 653 or email firstname.lastname@example.org