HSE Adviser (Construction)
To be the Engineering and Project Team's subject matter expert for all aspects of industrial and occupational health and safety relating to construction activity and application of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations. To lead the development of arrangements for the practical and pragmatic implementation of applicable law, relevant good practice and business requirements and to provide health and safety management leadership, assisting project teams at site in achieving excellent standards of health and safety management.
- Providing pragmatic and useful advice and guidance in industrial health & safety, including behavioural safety, operational experience feedback and human performance processes across site construction projects. This requires collaborative working with both internal project teams and external contractors, and continual intelligence gathering from around the site, building constructive relationships with a wide range of interested parties.
- Provide technical expertise to the development and implementation of all aspects of construction management systems which ensure compliance with relevant law, and company and industry requirements, with specific accountability to the legal aspects of health and safety in construction environments. Provision of advice on the practical implementation across construction projects, including supporting the alignment of project requirements with the wider Company management system.
- Act as a mentor, and provide coaching, to other members of the Construction Team on all aspects of construction Health and Safety to assist in building high standards of understanding within the team in order to ensure continual improvement in the health and safety performance of projects.
- Lead on a range of required construction health and safety activities as required by Construction Manager, including leading and contributing to investigations, audits and inspections, continual improvement etc.
- Develop and implement appropriate internal performance reporting tools, and embed these into the running of projects, in collaboration with the relevant project teams. Ensure both client and external (including regulatory) reporting requirements are met in the field of health and safety for site construction projects.
- Act as the subject matter expert for all aspects of compliance with the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations and take a leadership role is supporting project teams in developing their own competence and compliance against all relevant applicable requirements.
- Provide advice and challenge to leadership across site construction projects (and the wider site as necessary) in terms of their performance in health and safety, including working collaboratively with other areas of the businesses at site to identify and implement learning and improvement strategies and activities. Act as a coach and mentor to others across all areas of site construction projects (both internal and contractors) in the area of health and safety.
- Proactively lead in the identification of improvement projects for site construction projects and manage the implementation of such projects through to completion as part of an ongoing programme of continual improvement activity.
Experience Required - Essential
- Previous, proven experience of providing health and safety advice in a construction environment.
- Excellent knowledge of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations and proven track record of supporting their implementation on major construction projects.
- Experience of working with, developing and reviewing construction management systems (including those elements required under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations) and safe systems of work.
- Experience of successfully influencing at all levels of a business, including where conflicting priorities exist, and outside own reporting line.
- Experience of working within nuclear, COMAH or other high-hazard industries, including interacting with relevant regulators.
- Organised and fully autonomous, able to programme and prioritise work, coordinating effort with others and keeping leadership informed of progress and obstacles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including: ability to explain concepts in simple terms, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to liaise with all levels of the organisation ability to gain trust and engagement with disparate parts of the project team and other areas of site. Proficient in Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, Visio and Power Point.
- Ability to coach and support learning in the working environment, to support the development of individuals, and the cross functionality of the project teams.
- Problem solving and analytical skills, and the ability to identify opportunities for improvement and implement measures to achieve it.
- Broad knowledge of the legislative landscape applicable to construction projects and the wider client site.
- NEBOSH diploma in Occupational Health and Safety
- Recognised auditor training (or a commitment to work towards)
- Appropriate instruction in conducting investigations, as well as Root Cause Analysis (or a commitment to work towards).