Manchester, Greater Manchester
£32000.00 - £450000.00 per annum
4 months ago
Morson are working in exclusive partnership with our client Amey Consulting, who are the consultancy arm of the wider Amey business. We are recruiting for a number of exciting opportunities, to work on a number of high profile, key projects within their highways division. Career opportunities are outstanding and a bonus scheme exists for engineers and technicians who achieve EngTech/IEng and CEng as well as best in class support and additional training and development opportunities.
We are looking for Civil/Highways Engineers and Senior Civil/Highways Engineers with a highways background.
Amey and Trafford Council are working in partnership to deliver environmental and infrastructure services for Trafford. The new partnership, formed in 2015, delivers commercial and domestic waste collections, street cleaning, grounds maintenance, highways services, bridges, road safety, street lighting and furniture, drainage and property services. The partnership will maintain and improve nearly 800 km of roads, 17,000 km footways, 150 structures, 30,000 street columns and illuminated signs and 37 parks, in addition to collecting waste from 97,000 households for 15 years. Innovative, new technology will be introduced across the services to deliver a more efficient approach for the Council and the residents of Trafford.
The Trafford Highways Consulting account provides the local highway authority function on behalf of Traffic Council. It comprises approximately 40 engineers, technicians and support staff and is organised into three teams dealing with Traffic, Development Control & Drainage and Highway Maintenance (including highway structures).
The account has a significant forward work programme of projects including:
* Highway structural maintenance schemes
* Highway drainage improvement schemes
* Maintenance and improvement of highway structures
* Integrated transport, public realm and road safety improvement schemes
* Traffic management schemes
* Greater Manchester Mayor's Cycling and Walking Challenge Fund projects
* Highway improvements funded through developer contributions
* Carrington Relief Road
The teams are based in Amey's Tatton House Depot, M23 9LF.
What is the purpose of the role?
To provide design and project management activities within the Highway Maintenance team.
What makes the role unique?
This is an excellent opportunity to assist the Principal Engineer with leading the Maintenance team working on highway asset management and the highway maintenance capital programme. You will take a leading role in the development of project briefs and their implementation through design and construction.
What will this role involve?
You will ensure that good relationships with all parties are maintained to enhance the reputation of the company and the delivery of projects to the customer by providing technical input into projects, working within defined budgets, to an agreed timetable and to high professional standards.
Key responsibilities are:
* Prepare project design briefs
* Assist in the preparation and monitoring of the budget for projects including the planning, monitoring and reporting of project resources and finances
* Undertake technical design work including the production of electronic drawings using AutoCAD and other related software.
* Resolve problems and issues to support the delivery of projects or design objectives
* Take ownership of and resolve problems by leading the team when required
* Provide technical administrative support including project administration
* Prepare technical reports for both internal and external purposes.
* Build and maintain excellent relationships with internal and external business partners, customers and clients
* Assist with continuous improvement in the services provided by the team
* Assist less experienced colleagues ensuring compliance with pre-defined standards
* Take ownership of personal development in order to build professional capability
* Assist in the development and supervision of project team members
* Assist with competency appraisal processes subject to suitable level of supervision
* Plan and prioritise own activities to ensure effective utilisation of time
* Attend local and national technical working groups.
Who are we looking for?
You will have attained an HNC/BEng/MEng in Civil Engineering or similar and be working towards or have attained Chartered status of the Institution of Civil Engineers / Institution of Highways and Transportation or similar.
The applicant will need to demonstrate they have the key skills / knowledge in the following areas:
* Experience in use of AutoCAD, MX or Civils 3D and MicroDrainage
* Experience of UKPMS processes and software systems
* Experience of working on both Local Authority and developer led schemes as part of a multi-disciplinary design team
* Civils design experience including;
Site development and layouts
Highway structural maintenance programme development (including UKPMS and Programme delivery)
Drainage and flood alleviation works
Ability to undertake site surveys, including topographical and asset data gathering.
Highway improvement and maintenance schemes
Client contact and management.
Budget monitoring and project management
* Civil Engineering design to DMRB standards and Sewers for Adoption
* Understanding of highway surfacing materials and their performance/usage
* Understanding of the CDM Regulations
* Understanding of street works permit schemes
* Play a supporting role to the Principal Engineer
* Ability to undertake all activities to produce schemes through to detailed design
* Ability to work to tight timescales and budgets
* Team player
* Good oral and written communication skills
* Flexible and enthusiastic in approach
* Developing and motivating self and others
* Well organised
* High level of computer literacy including competency in the use of Microsoft Office
* Building excellent customer and client relationships
Interested? Please speak to Ben Pascall on or call 0161 707 1516