about 1 month ago
High Voltage Cable Engineer, Contract , ASAP start, (Remote Working)
This role will involve supporting the design of EHV and HV cable systems, across full project life cycle, from feasibility studies to detailed design for Contractors. The role is focused on the design of c able installations and requires extensive experience of cable design and the use of CYMCAP and the key associated modules. Knowledge of the design of other electricity transmission system infrastructure, such as overhead lines and substations would be an advantage.
As a Cable Systems Design Engineer, you will be responsible for the design of new cable installations, taking into account all factors impacting the design and selection of the cable. You must have a detailed understanding of the requirements for designing HV cable installations and be an experienced user of CYMCAP and some of its specialist modules. The current workload is primarily for onshore cable installation but there may also be a requirement for offshore cable design.
Examples of recent and current projects include:
- Design of the first contestably built 220kV cable installation in Ireland
- Design of numerous 110kV cable connections for contestably built grid connections serving both generation and demand customers in Ireland
- Preliminary studies to determine the onshore routing and cable selection for a major new offshore wind farm.
- Constraint studies to support cable selection for two National Grid onshore HVDC cable installations.
- A major new 400kV transmission infrastructure project using entirely underground cables in the Middle-East.
Required/Essential Skills & Experience
- BSc/BEng Electrical Engineering (Hons) or MEng.
- Be working towards, or have already achieved, Chartered Engineer status.
- Strong experience in the design of HV and EHV cable systems, for both HVAC and HVDC systems.
- Experienced user of CYMCAP to support cable system design
- Experience of working at EHV transmission voltages
- Experience of working in teams.
- Customer facing skills.
- An ability to work flexibly across a broad range of projects
- Previous experience in a consulting engineering or design company
Desirable Skills & Experience
Experience of design or management in at least one of the following areas is required. Additionally, broader experience across several of the following areas would be advantageous:
- Subsea cables at voltages of 11 kV and higher.
- Load flow and fault studies, using commercially available software e.g. DigSilent, ETAP, PSSE, PScad etc.
- Earthing system studies and design using commercially available software such as CDEGS or similar.
- Overhead lines.