about 1 month ago
Health and Safety Advisor, Permanent, Bridgwater
Job Purpose / Overview
The Health and Safety Advisor will work as part of a team of Health and Safety Advisors providing the highest standard of advice and support to the HPC CDM Client and Principal Contractor management teams. Working in a collaborative, assertive and supportive manner, the Health and Safety Advisor will undertake a range of safety programme based activities which include day to day provision of technical advice and guidance on all project health and safety matters .
The Health and Safety Advisor will operate by undertaking a range of planned advice, guidance and support activities which focus on establishing, promoting, maintaining and continually improving the HPC CDM Client and Principal Contractor management arrangements. Maintaining and developing internal and external relationships, providing clear communication between relevant departments and external contractors. Collating and disseminating safety related information and the ability to influence and encourage attitudes and behaviours towards safety.
Each Health and Safety Advisor will be assigned to support one of the core Multi-Disciplinary Teams (MDT) integrating with the MDT providing advice and support on all H&S issues and risks associated with the MDT works ensuring all NNB Client and Principal Contractor duties are fulfilled.
* Participate in creating, maintaining and improving health and safety in the workplace
* Influence the Multi-Disciplinary team on health and safety issues relating to pre-construction planning & project evolution
* Develop timely project based health and safety risk profiles to direct risk based inspection and other assurance activities
* Provide assurance to the Client organisations that Designers and Principal Contractors are complying with their requirements under Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2015.
* Participate and advise as a subject matter expert in constructability, maintainability and operability reviews
* Undertake inspections, carry out accident investigations, keep records and write reports.
* Co-ordinate and collate information required for the production of scheduled H & S reports and identify trends and early warnings of possible issues and recommend appropriate action.
* Carry out audits of construction activities on site to ensure that the requirements set out in the construction phase plan are adhered to.
* Provide advice on the interpretation and application of the H & S management system. This to include provision of relevant training, briefings and information.
* Carry out regular behavioural safety conversations with construction contractors on site.
* Pro-active creation and implementation of programmes to underpin zero tolerance to HSE issues/problems.
* Increase awareness of all HSE matters.
* Work with peers in other disciplines to ensure creation of coherent and integrated polices and systems that avoid unnecessary duplication and dissipation of effort.
* Be an effective and participative member of a team of safety, health and environmental professionals.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications & Experience
Knowledge & Skills
* Excellent communication skills with the ability to develop wide network and working relationships within the company and the construction industry
* Results focus tempered with team centred approach
* Highly skilled in the analysis of technically demanding and detailed information and quickly identify the underlying issues and risks.
* Strong capacity to be future focused in identifying risks and implications. Strong communication skills to be able to put across complex concepts and data in a way that is readily understood and actionable, using a variety of media.
* Skilful in engaging others with technical issues and maintaining their interest and enthusiasm.
* Skilful in distilling knowledge and building skills in others and the capacity to be pragmatic and practical in the way that technical issues are addressed
* Good knowledge of large organisational, process plant and site, operations
* Ability to establish a vision and develop/implement strategy to attain it.
* Excellent knowledge of national and international HSE standards
* Excellent knowledge of CDM Regulations
* Proven track record of achieving excellent safety results on major engineering and construction projects
Qualifications & Experience
* Significant HSE experience within a large project setting
* Experience of co-ordinating between contractors to support resolving health and safety interface issues across complex and high risk operations
* Tech IOSH or equivalent
* NEBOSH HSE Diploma or European equivalent
* Excellent knowledge of CDM Regulations