Birmingham, West Midlands
Up to £0.00 per annum
4 months ago
My client are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased, this has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done. Considering that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with my client as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which is why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. At the same time, we'll improve how we work. That means we will be able to plan roadworks better to minimise disruption clear incidents more quickly and save more than £1 billion by working more efficiently. When you work with us, youre helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy.
My client is recruiting for a Head of Profession: Programme and Project Management to be based at either our Birmingham or Bedford office, this is a full time permanent position.
The Head of Profession: Programme and Project Management is the leader of the Programme and Project management community within Major Projects (a community of approximately 350 Major Projects Personal that are accountable for delivery).
The main function of this role is to be the Professional lead for all Project Management professionals within Major Projects and its supporting portfolio, including the Supply Chain. This role is required to provide advice and guidance on industry and professional best practice across the entire portfolio.
The post holder will be required to liaise with and represent the client and Major Projects across the Infrastructure industry, liaising with Project Management professional bodies and Supply Chain organisations in order to identify improvements, new ways of thinking/working and bringing them back to Major Projects so that they can be embedded within the Directorate.
This role is responsible for setting the Directorate wide standards for all aspects of Project and Programme Management including competency and development, process, organisational design and deployment principles as well as people and information & technology e.g. PCF and CAT. They will also lead the development of the Project Management community across the whole of Major Projects.
Processes include Programme initiation, Project Initiation, PrgMPs, PMPs, Resource Demand, Lessons Learned, Project Controls Framework (PCF), Programme close-out and Project close-out.
Day to Day:
* Member of the Leadership team
* Functional (process, systems and tools) - Develop, maintain and manage appropriate processes and procedures, systems and tools, within the project management profession to work in the most effective way, in line with business need. This includes, but is not limited to:
o Ensure the common ways of working the Project Controls Framework, managing its development and refinement
o Ensure a Programme Control Framework is establishment maintained and managed
o Ensuring there is common understanding and execution of projects and programmes, whilst still enabling appropriate tailoring for specific project and programme environments/requirements
* Functional (organisation and people) - Development and management of the MP Project and Programme Management Community. This includes, but is not limited to:
o Establishing and managing a community of practice
o Setting the required standards, skills and capabilities for Project and Programme managers
o Working with Programme and Project Directors and HR on specialist Project and Programme Management recruitment including acting as SME for division the standards for all other Project Management recruitment activity
o Provision of specialist knowledge and experience to enable the effective development of employees within the Project Management family across Major Projects in line with the Career Pathways and the Competency Assessment Tool. Further, to work alongside L&D and Programme Directors in the development and ongoing review of the associated learning curriculum.
* Delivery - In liaison with the Controls function within the MPPH:
o Review and comment on the quality of the entire MP Programme delivery data interpretation and reporting commentary to ensure best practice is maintained, identifying and leading on the implementation of improvements across the business
* Leading £billion-pound capital projects, programmes and/or portfolios
* Delivery in a highly regulated environment
* Full lifecycle delivery from initiation, through design, construction, handover and close out
* Track record of managing business and/or value management cases for new projects through company defined governance, review and approval gates
* Track record of managing and maintaining agreed project plans and detailed stage plans in conjunction with delivery partners
* Strong evidence of commercial skills with proven ability to negotiate and manage contracts to deliver outcomes and drive value for money