Birmingham, West Midlands
Up to £0.00 per annum
2 months ago
My client are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased, this has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done. Considering that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with my client as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which is why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. At the same time, we'll improve how we work. That means we will be able to plan roadworks better to minimise disruption clear incidents more quickly and save more than £1 billion by working more efficiently. When you work with us, youre helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy.
My client is recruiting for a Head of Profession - Planning to be based out of our Birmingham or Bedford office, this role is a full time permanent position.
As the Head of Profession - Planning, you will:
* Ensure consistency in the way that Planning & Scheduling (includes Schedule Management Planning, Schedule Development, Schedule Review and Roll-up, Schedule Change Management, Reporting & Performance Management, Schedule Quality Management and Quantitative Schedule Risk Analysis (QSRA)) are managed across Major Projects. This will require the role to actively manage and maintain appropriate processes, systems and tools, people and their professional capability, organisational constructs and the associated information.
* Identify and drive best practice within Major Projects Directorate and to provide thought leadership in the planning profession internally and externally where appropriate.
* Mature the planning profession in line with emerging needs of the business.
* Provide strategic leadership for the profession both upwards into corporate functions and downwards in to Major Projects, liaising with, managing and influencing key stakeholders.
Day to Day:
* Understand the strategic intent, policy and direction of the profession in consultation with wider stakeholders and translate this for the Major Projects Business.
* Represent and advocate the needs of the profession in Major Projects with the wider business.
* Develop and deploy standardised, appropriate and effective processes and procedures that align to corporate policy and business need across all of Capital Projects Portfolio, as well as the supporting systems, tools and guidance. This includes but is not limited to:
o Prepare and oversee a robust and realistic Master Intergrated Plan (MIP) for Major Projects, highlighting critical milestones relating to key activities, deliverables and interfaces
o Clarify and manage the visibility of programme interface requirements and dependencies ensure that responsibilities for the management of interfaces are clearly assigned and understood
o Ensure that schedules are cost and resource loaded and processes for earned value reporting of performance are put in place
o Oversee Programme Delivery Managers and Project Managers to ensure that adequate, but not excessive time provision is included in individual project schedules to allow for overall Programme integration
o Establish Programme level commissioning and testing schedules taking account of project interfaces and planned completion schedules
* Develop and lead the appropriate organisation, people and information supporting elements required for success across Major Projects, including supporting the delivery programmes to manage the profession.
* Establish and integrate the profession within Major Projects and ensure it is mapped to the requirements of our client (Department for Transport).
* Understanding of and extensive operational experience of working in and supporting large scale, multi-billion pound complex capital projects and programmes.
* Experience providing and driving strategic improvement plans and consistency of approach at programme and project levels.
* Understanding of the industry best practice approach to the planning profession.
* Experience in forming and managing large teams.
* Track record of managing complex relationships with multiple stakeholders and evidence of skills to influence relationships for positive outcomes within an operational environment.
* Experience of working in a regulated environment / industry.
* Experience of performing programme and project reviews.