Argyll & Bute, Scotland
Up to £63.00 per hour
27 days ago
Head of Finance; Up to £63/hr LTD; Helensburgh; 6 Months Contract
MUST HAVE VALID SC BEFORE STARTING
The role is to lead and manage the Finance Department to meet safety, quality, cost, delivery, people and improvement targets for Group, Business Unit, Function and Department.
Key Results Areas;
1. Agree Business, Function and Department objectives and targets with Business Services Director and once set, manage these through to successful completion.
2. Assist the Business Services Director in maximising the utilisation of all the Directorate's resource.
3. Deliver process, technical and business improvement using continuous improvement techniques to accelerate delivery in key business areas. Includes measuring Departmental performance and adoption of best practice by the introduction of innovative technological solutions (people, systems and technology).
4. Is required to evolve and lead the finance strategy for the business unit, evaluating and responding to the business needs of the customer. This role will drive, protect, diversify and grow aspects of the business such that the business satisfies organic and new growth aspirations.
5. Ensure that adequate resources (SQEP people, facilities, equipment) are available to deliver governance, assurance and improvement activities. Includes the provision of leadership to all Finance Department staff in the performance of their duties
6. Ensure the Finance Department complies with appropriate legislation including requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act (as a minimum).
7. Control expenditure of the Finance Department within forecasted budget. Includes overall responsibility and reporting for business improvement (Savings) to ensure all requirements are fully met.
8. Required to evolve and lead the finance strategy for the business unit, evaluating and responding to the business needs of the customer. This role will drive, protect, diversify and grow aspects of the business such that the business satisfies organic and new growth aspirations while also delivering saving targets for contracts.
9. Provide commercial and financial expertise to the other senior managers within the business, and aims to develop the culture which underpins an environment of tight budgetary control.
10. Responsible for ensuring that financial and commercial controls operate effectively and are monitored and reported on, on a regular basis. Leads compliance framework, reporting on all such activity to the board.
11. Responsible for organising quarterly forecast cycle, consolidating all business unit budgets to allow overall company budget to be completed in time for reporting to group. Liaison with other Heads of Department to ensure agreement of revised forecasts, as well as working with them during the year to understand and manage variations to the revised forecast.
12. Tasked with enhancing the quality of their business processes and services in line with the overall business strategy.
13. As a pivotal member of the senior management team, and is there to provide leadership and coordination of company financial reporting, planning, cash management and financial controls, across all areas of the business.
14. Expected to provide commercial and financial expertise to the other senior managers within the business, and aims to develop the culture which underpins an environment of tight budgetary control.
Management / Supervisory Scope
3 direct reports
Circa 10 staff
Stakeholder / Customer engagement and influencing - Directors, Heads of Department, , Internal and External Regulatory Bodies, Contractor management and Trades Union consultation.
Describe any problem solving or continuous improvement activities undertaken within this job and the approach used for these activities (this can range from routine responses to more complex issue analysis and solution provision).
Technical - financial legislation / complex accounting treatments Needs thorough understanding of UK and International accounting frameworks, and ability to map this onto actual operational business.
Interpersonal - dealing with staff issues Ability to work with staff at all levels - strong people management and negotiation skills required.
Resource - ensuring sufficient manpower available to deal with all accounting matters in the most efficient manner possible Ability to consider new approaches and systems to drive efficiency into the service provision
The post holder works closely with BM board, BM and senior staff in developing and maintaining the Finance Strategy.
Works within a variety of existing processes as well as being pivotal in the design, development, implementation and management of new and innovative integrated processes. These new processes are developed within the constraints of external regulatory requirements, site authorisation conditions, available toolkits and existing business processes.
Liaison and consultation with others at all levels to negotiate the introduction of new strategies/policies, changes to existing policies and procedures and, where required, to support new business transformation processes. All policies and processes are designed to be entirely scalable from end user to director level and require to cater for the needs of customers and stakeholders at all levels.
Morson is acting as a recruitment business in relation to this vacancy